Remote Controlled Kid car

Hello!

I'm new to Arduino and growing insane with all projects i want to create but i decided that making my kid a remote controlled "ride along" car is gonna be the first one! ( that i will keep adding fun stuff to ).

Im making this tread because as stated i am a total noob to this and will need help ( for those kind souls who got a few minutes and wisdom to share )

The idea is to use a chassi like this and mod it.

I looked for other threads but couldnt find one detailed enough for a noob to follow but i want to build it with 12v9AH battery to give it a bit more power and give some extra room for mods.

Requirements

• Remote control with phone ( going to plug in wireless xbox controller to phone to get the throttle & stearing axis control

• Possibility to expand functions such as lights, radio etc

• Being able to control steering ( with axis ) and switch steering off ( so kid can steer )

• Being able to control throttle ( with axis ) and also have pedal on floor ( so kid can throttle )

Now do you think its possible for such a noobie to take on this project and can you help me with parts needed ( i can solder etc myself and handle code decently ) ?

Sincerely playful dad with too much time on his hands.

Possible, but need some knowledge with arduino, you could probably get it from the internet, start looking at similar project and understand which all devices are needed for you project. All the best for your project

If your plan is to remote-control the car while the kid sits in it then I suspect that will hugely reduce the kid's enjoyment. The whole purpose of cars (for kids or adults) is the independence that they provide.

...R

m_k_akash:
Possible, but need some knowledge with arduino, you could probably get it from the internet, start looking at similar project and understand which all devices are needed for you project. All the best for your project

I have been looking alot at other projects but find very few who actually give a detailed guide on "how to"

Robin2:
If your plan is to remote-control the car while the kid sits in it then I suspect that will hugely reduce the kid's enjoyment. The whole purpose of cars (for kids or adults) is the independence that they provide.

...R

As i wrote it would be best if its possible to switch on and off remote steering / throttling.

Would be really greatful if someone could help with "you atleast need this motor driver with this Arduino card" since there are so many different components.

I guess i need

• Bluetooth module
  • 2x 12v engines
  • Motor driver card
  • Ofc one of the many different Arduino cards

Do the engines & motor driver have to be specific one to be able to use Axis control from remote ( plugged into phone )

It would be far easier just to buy a normal radio control set and use that .
A servo for controlling the steering maybe an issue and you might have to make something for that, being able to disengage it will be tricky .

lundgreen91:
Would be really greatful if someone could help with “you atleast need this motor driver with this Arduino card” since there are so many different components.

Before selecting a motor driver you need to know the current drawn by the motor. And you should size the driver to meet the stall current of the motor which might several times higher than the normal operating current. The stall current will be drawn briefly when the motor starts - especially with a load in the car - and, of course, if the car meets an obstacle that stops it.

For high current motors an Electronic Speed Control (ESC) may be the most economic option and they have the nice feature that they are controlled as if they are servos so can be used with an Arduino or with regular radio control gear. Be aware, however, that many ESCs are made for model aircraft and don’t have a reversing capability.

…R