Remote controlled lilypad vibe board

Hi there,

I am new here and have a questions about what to use for remote controlling a lilypad vibe board. (I googled for wireless control and came across the xbee and bluetooth bee but it is still unclear to me whether they are what I need)

I connected a Lilypad Power Supply 5V to a Lilypad vibe board (my first project). Now I want to switch the vibe board on and off wirelessly.

I need the following properties. - Wireless control - vibe board should be switched on and off within 130 msec (on average once a second, maximally twice a second) - short latency

Is that possible to do? What do I need for a remote controlled switch?

I locked into the xbees and bluethooth bee but I don't know whether they do what I need: i.e. how quickly do they react? how much power do the need when I continuously send commands? What else do I need? Can I do the switching using a Lilypad Xbee adapter or do I need the Arduino Lilypad?

Best

I need the following properties. - Wireless control - vibe board should be switched on and off within 130 msec (on average once a second, maximally twice a second) - short latency

Is that possible to do?

Yes. The latency will be from writing data to the serial port for transmission, and interpreting that data on the other end. Transmission time will be nearly negligible, for the range that XBees have, for instance.

Can I do the switching using a Lilypad Xbee adapter or do I need the Arduino Lilypad?

There is nothing for the Arduino on the receiving end to do that the XBee can't do directly.

how much power do the need when I continuously send commands?

While transmitting, the XBee uses 45mA. While receiving, the XBee uses 50mA. Seems backwards to me, but when I asked digi, they assured me that the data is correct.

What else do I need?

A switch?

Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion for a small switch i can use in this project? I assume it would be some kind of a small relay?

At the moment my plan is the following:

I have two circuits, with a power supply each: one for the bluetooth bee (3V) and one for the vibe board (5V) The bluetooth bee controls a small relay which can be used for switching the vibe board.

Or can I integrate it in one circuit with one power supply?