Remote controls (LED)

I have a confused relative with several remote controls for satellite box , several tellys and other stuff.

What i would like to do is build a simple remote to solve numerous problems.

I need a keypad remote that i can put suitable legends on the keypad.

Telly input selector is on screen step function , multiple presses of the av button to select the correct input.
I would like a single button press solution.

i.e press dvd player button , selects correct tv input then enables DVD.

The satellite box can retain its own remote controller.

Currently i have several satellite controllers programmed for different tellys, but they move around and things get confused

Anyone here done anything similar ?

I don't know of a ready-made keypad remote like you want, that allows individual legends to be added, but I wanted to address this point:-

Telly input selector is on screen step function , multiple presses of the av button to select the correct input.
I would like a single button press solution.

The problem is that for a single button press solution to work, your controller will need to know which input is currently selected, so it knows how many times to send the IR code in response to your single button press. Tricky if the original remote control is also used, since your controller won't know the current input selection.

Also, if the button on your unit is accidentally pressed when it's not pointing in the right direction, it will 'think' that a different input has been selected, whereas the receiver will still be on the previous input. (I hope I explained this well enough.)

I realised this when I made a unit to press "Mute" on the TV, controlled by an external sound trigger. At least once a day, it would go out of sync, and my controller would think the sound was muted when it wasn't, inverting the intended operation. The circuit etc worked beautifully, but the system didn't, and never made it beyond the breadboard stage.

Really, to make this type of automatic setup work properly in the cases of AV selection, mute etc, you need feedback from the receiving device, which isn't possible.

Thanks , that is much the conclusion i have come to.
I am prepared to buy a new telly for said person , but how do i select it. ?

it needs to have a remote with one press input selection.
I am at at a loss to find a telly that can do that without trying one out myself.

lots of stuff on line without the required detail.

Supermarkets with stuff on display do not have remotes available.

Although i do have a universal off tx . HE HE HE.

Boardburner2:
Thanks , that is much the conclusion i have come to.
I am prepared to buy a new telly for said person , but how do i select it. ?

it needs to have a remote with one press input selection.

While they might exist, I haven't seen a TV remote with separate buttons for each input source. I agree that it's a nuisance stepping through them to get to the right one, and remembering which is which, as well as making reliable automation impossible.
My TV, (Sony Bravia), at least lets me rename the inputs to suit what's connected, so instead of AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 and so on, I can name them "PVR" ,"PS2", "DVDREC", "PC" etc, but that still doesn't help for automation - it just makes manual selection easier.

OldSteve:
While they might exist, I haven't seen a TV remote with separate buttons for each input source. I agree that it's a nuisance stepping through them to get to the right one, and remembering which is which, as well as making reliable automation impossible.
My TV, (Sony Bravia), at least lets me rename the inputs to suit what's connected, so instead of AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 and so on, I can name them "PVR" ,"PS2", "DVDREC", "PC" etc, but that still doesn't help for automation - it just makes manual selection easier.

Are there any remote selectable switcher available ? @HDMI ,yuv or anything ?

Boardburner2:
Are there any remote selectable switcher available ? @HDMI ,yuv or anything ?

Good thinking. I'm not sure, you'd need to search, but to be effective it would need to switch all of the common input types, with multiple inputs of each. ie Component video/audio, HDMI and if a PC is also connected, VGA/SVGA and associated audio.
If such an animal exists, it could be expensive. :frowning:

With regard to the mute toggle, I note my TV un-mutes when the volume up or down button is pressed.

Paul__B:
With regard to the mute toggle, I note my TV un-mutes when the volume up or down button is pressed.

Doh. I didn't think of that.
I just tested it with the original remote, and yeah, the TV unmutes and the volume doesn't increase/decrease on the first volume code sent if the TV was muted.

Still, if my unit sends the mute code when something like the dog or a person is between the unit and the TV, the TV won't mute, and when my unit sends a volume code to unmute, the volume will change. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't think of it while the circuit was together, though, to have more of a play with it.

I had other problems anyway with false-triggering on other loud noises, or even when the TV volume itself was up too high, (self-muting), so the setup wasn't practical for a number of reasons, not just the one mentioned. It kept me out of trouble for a day though. :smiley:
And I've got a good little sound-trigger circuit drawn up, if I ever need it for something else.

I have just discovered that my telly has hidden discrete codes that will do this for me.

Boardburner2:
I have just discovered that my telly has hidden discrete codes that will do this for me.

Good one. That makes it easier.

You might like looking up your telly on the internet , thats how i found the codes.

Need the remote part no though as they are generally made by a different manufacturer from the telly.

OldSteve:
Doh. I didn't think of that.
I just tested it with the original remote, and yeah, the TV unmutes and the volume doesn't increase/decrease on the first volume code sent if the TV was muted.

If you hold the button down sometimes there is a repeat bit set, so telly responds differently to a held button rather than a quick press.

Boardburner2:
You might like looking up your telly on the internet , thats how i found the codes.

Need the remote part no though as they are generally made by a different manufacturer from the telly.

I'll do a search later, out of interest. But as mentioned, due to other noise and false-triggering, my automated mute wasn't practical. Besides other factors, every time I coughed I muted the TV. :frowning:

If you hold the button down sometimes there is a repeat bit set, so telly responds differently to a held button rather than a quick press.

Yeah, my TV sends a repeat code for some buttons, (0xFFFFFFFF), and not for others. "Mute" is one that doesn't send a repeat code, and I think from memory that "Volume" does send it. It's easy to handle - when a code is received, it can be stored, then if 0xFFFFFFFF is received, you carry out the same action as the stored code, (if you want it to repeat).

Some send alternating codes, too, I think.