Remote dimmer for led's

I have a small 6w, 6x1w, led setup that I use for working at my desk. I am new to arduino but have been researching it over the past year or so. I have seen other stuff that uses led's and a remote to make flashing display type stuff but is it possible to use it in conjunction with a current controller and remote so I can adjust the brightness via remote?

but is it possible to use it in conjunction with a current controller and remote so I can adjust the brightness via remote?

Yes.

Can you tell me the components I need? Figure I will just buy them now and try to figure it out as I go along. A learning experience :slight_smile:

You need first to find out the frequency of modulation of your remote control. Then you need to buy an IR reciever chip that matches that frequency.

You find out the modulating frequency by getting an IR photo transistor and measuring the pulses from your remote either with an oscilloscope, or by a program in the arduino. The result will be somewhere between 30 to 42 KHz. The IR photo transistor will only have a range of an inch or two.

See the playground section for more detailes.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a better way other then IR remote to send signals to it, possibly with bluetooth? I figure if I am going to do it just go all out.