Remote Dog Collar Project with Arduino

Hi,

I have this project to do where I must make a dog collar with a device attached to it that beeps when it is a certain distance from a proximity sensor.

To help understand you understand, imagine a remote dog leash, where the human holds an object and, when the dog gets too far away from the object, the collar will start to beep. This is what I envision creating.

So I have a few Arduino kits and I was wondering if there was any way I could use my Arduino kits to do this.

I have never programmed with Arduino before, so sorry in advance if any of my statements sound dumb.

The main problem I see is getting the device attached to the dog collar to be able to read signals from the proximity sensor and then to beep.

So I am now thinking that I will need two Bluetooth processors, one connected to the proximity sensor and one connected to the sound component. Ideally, the proximity sensoawr sends signals to the Bluetooth processor and when the Bluetooth processor is a certain range from the proximity sensor, it will send a signal to the sound component to began beeping.

For the proximity sensor, I believe I will use an ultrasonic sensor and for the sound component, I plan on using the "Big Sound" sensor.

This design means that the signal-receiving component won't be attached to a computer, so is it possible to supply power to it using a power bank? Please tell me if this is feasible or if there are other ways to fix this problem.

Also, please tell me if this would be difficult to program; it seems very simple to me so hopefully it won't be hard too code.

As stated before, I am new to Arduino and I do not fully know if my suggested design is feasible or not. Please give me suggestions and ideas so I can improve my design.

Thanks,
FlinnBella

Ultrasonic sensor requires a certain alignment to the source and I doubt a dog , let alone the collar , will ever align.

Start experimenting with Arduino, follow some tutorials or examples, and get back with any questions.
Arduino and associated sensors will run on a battery if required.
Programming is only difficult if you have not studied it and practiced.

Don't forget to include any code (placed in code tags)you've written and a sketch of your circuits( no fritzing please) and any relevant information on the project and do everyone a favour and read the 4 headings at the start of project guidance.

Use the forum Google search function in the upper right of this page to search for the key words of your project. You will probably find many similar previous project discussions and code to get you started.

zoomkat:
You will probably find many similar previous project discussions and code to get you started.

Or rather, the contrary. :astonished:

“Getting you stopped” would be more to the point.

FlinnBella:
I have this project to do where I must make a dog collar with a device attached to it that beeps when it is a certain distance from a proximity sensor.

Just what does “I have this project to do” actually mean? Who has set you this task?

Short distance rangefinding with no reference points. Can be done - with some difficulty - outdoors using GPS.

Indoors, no.

Suggest you find a device already in production that does (exactly) what you describe. Then cite it here and we will tell you whether you can replicate it with an Arduino or something similar. Note that it will be more expensive to do so than to buy the commercial version.

If you cannot find it already in production, then you already know what the answer here will be. :sunglasses:

Look at invisible fence. They're very euphemistic and vague about how their product works, but one thing they do make clear is that you have to dig a trench around your property line and run a cable in it so that they can tell when the collar is close to the line.

I suspect that they'd be ecstatic if the system you're proposing were feasible - no more trenching!

They've been in business for a while and have not been able to get away from the trench, so I think you'll find that it's very hard to do. Your problem is slightly easier in that you're not trying to police a precise boundary, but it's still very difficult to come up with a system to tell how far apart two things are using signal strength.

What might do it is a GPS on each end and a pair of radios so that the collar can tell the base unit its position. It would be unreliable in woods or close to buildings though, so in practical terms, not really useful.