Remote input and outputs

Hey guys and gals,

I have a program where I want the inputs and outputs to be roughly 40 feet from the main processor, here's an overview,

2 programs, each containing the same 6 inputs and 6 outputs

Program 1
Turns on an output and latches until the corresponding input is pressed

Program 2
Turns on an output when the corresponding input is pressed

Simple enough right,

Now, what's the best way to achieve the control? 2 Arduino units via Bluetooth, WiFi, other? Any component suggestions?

Simple enough right

The code to deal with the inputs and outputs would be, if the inputs and outputs are on the same Arduino. It's between a little and a whole lot more complicated if the inputs are on one Arduino and the outputs are on another Arduino.

Why are the inputs and outputs 40 feet away? The Arduino is small. Move it closer to the inputs and outputs.

What are you sending data from? What are you sending it to? What data are you sending? That is how much data? How often? How critical is the data? That is, does it matter if a few bits get lost now and then? What is your budget?

We can't recommend a wireless mechanism without knowing these answers.

Thanks for the quick reply,
It's mechanical switches and indicator lights

It's not critical if it doesn't trigger everytime, outputs could be fired as quick as every 2 seconds but it will not be continuous duty. (might be every 2 seconds for a minute, then off for 3 minutes)

This is a trial, so I'd like to keep the budget down and spend the money on the final product if testing is successful, that being said, I'd like the trial to be successful.

I can maybe gain 10 feet, but not much more than that. Distance will be at roughly 30 feet. I said 40 to cover worst case scenario.

Sorry if I'm a little vague, I'm a PLC and hmi guy, this is a new area for me

Thanks again

Sorry if I'm a little vague, I'm a PLC and hmi guy, this is a new area for me

I've never seen a PLC controlled with fuzzy logic. None of my machines understand fuzzy logic, either.

So, I don't think fuzzy logic is part of your normal world, either.

Why can't the Arduino be closer to the inputs and outputs?

Why didn't you answer the other questions?

K, clearly I'm not getting anywhere here. I'll figure out. No worries.

Thought I did answer most of the questions,

I can get 30 feet, getting closer is just impractical, not impossible, but I don't feel like grabbing a ladder everytime I have to go up

Rookie77:
K, clearly I’m not getting anywhere here. I’ll figure out. No worries.

That’s because you don’t give the needed information. Without complete and unambiguous information on what you’re trying to do, you can’t get anywhere. Please remember that we have NO CLUE of what you want to do until YOU TELL ABOUT IT.
If you feel you’re not getting anywhere it’s because you don’t give the information needed to work with. No photos, no proposed schematics, no details on the components used, no word on the purpose of the project, not even on WHY there has to be such a distance.

I can get 30 feet, getting closer is just impractical, not impossible, but I don’t feel like grabbing a ladder everytime I have to go up

This also doesn’t make sense. Why would you put either the Arduino (or the buttons - which makes even less sense as somehow you will want to be able to operate them) in such a hard to reach place?

What is it what you’re actually trying to accomplish?

Rookie77:
It’s mechanical switches and indicator lights

[…]

Sorry if I’m a little vague, I’m a PLC and hmi guy, this is a new area for me

And that’s why you’re getting all those questions.
What kind of indicator lights (LED, light bulb, strobe, search light)? How much power do they need?
What kind of switches? Push button or on/off switch or something different entirely?

Rookie, you write:

Sorry if I'm a little vague, I'm a PLC and hmi guy

Being a PLC and HMI, in my books, would mean you would not be vague.

Just to let you know, I do both, PLC/SCADA and micro-controllers, so, feet in both camps on this.

So, I am having some difficulty in understanding what you write.
Are you saying the switches are at one end and the lights at the other end, if not, can you better describe the layout for us ?

I think 30 foot paces would be about 10m, correct ?
Are you wanting any form of control at both ends or only one end ?
What restrictions to the thing that ties the two ends together, such as barriers to cables wires, RF ?

I guess you know in the industrial world of PLC and SCADA, we like to engineer things, but first, a concise and clear description is what is really needed.

Paul - VK7KPA