remote LAN triggered device

Hello Arduino Forum

I'm pretty much new to Arduino itself, but I can program in C/C++ and java so I decided I could use it to create a remote accessible device I need.

The transmitting side will be a PC or laptop. I can create an application to send packets. Anyone with the application can use it to send signals as long as they are connected to the internet.

The receiving side will be arduino device, which, when the packet is received triggers servo motors and LED in a specific timing and order.

Is this kind of configuration possible?

If you want your PC to communicate directly with the Arduino via an Ethernet shield then I believe you'll need to get yourself a crossover cable: Ethernet crossover cable - Wikipedia

An alternative method is to simply use USB and communicate with Arduino via Serial port. There is a standard protocol, called Firmata, which may help you too.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Firmata

Although it would take a little bit of physical setup(due to the need of a dedicated laptop),
I guess it would save time programming as it's easier to set up
packet transmitters in a PC based system..

Thanks for the help~

You know you can also buy off-the-shelf devices that do this using SNMP and are pretty reasonable. Here's one example: Ethernet IO module TCW241 for remote monitoring and control

And here's another example: Tinycontrol - LAN CONTROLLER V3.5

Others out there.

But then, where's the fun in that...

"The receiving side will be arduino device, which, when the packet is received triggers servo motors and LED in a specific timing and order."

If you use an ardino you will probably need an ethernet shield, and a router to connect to if you want to connect to the enternet. The ESP based wifi boards are an alternative that might work in your situation as they are similar to the arduinos.