Remote on/off switch...where to begin?

Hello everybody,

I am looking to make a remote switch for my espresso machine, so that I can then it on from bed. It needs around 30 minutes to warm up, and I can never force myself out of bed to turn it on.

I'm not really sure where to begin, or the feasibility of something like this. It seems like it should be simple, but I don't know.

If anyone could offer any general guidance, just to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

The easiest solution is probably a Powerswitch Tail:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/268

-- The Flexible MIDI Shield: MIDI IN/OUT, stacking headers, your choice of I/O pins

I was thinking of switching the internal low voltage...basically replacing the existing switch (it's a basic dc switch)...is this not my best option?

The “best” option depends on each individual user. If you’re comfortable opening up your machine and hacking at the switch then yes, this would be easier (hmm…frankly, the Powerswitch Tail is still easier IMHO, though a bit more expensive).

You can simulate the switch closure using a relay, or if you know the polarity of how the switch is wired, a transistor or MOSFET. Which way you go depends upon your constraints and your level of expertise.

The Rugged Audio Shield: Line In, Mic In, Headphone Out, microSD socket, potentiometer, play/record WAV files

How about plugging an extension cable in to a switched socket somewhere near your bed, and running it out to the expresso machine? :P

I'll get me coat.

Lol, good idea! I used to be an electrician, and actually wired my house, so I could run a specific switch to my bedroom...but what's the fun it that?

I want an Arduino project! I have recently begun studying electrical engineering, so am starting to tinker with small electronics, and this seemed like a fun and instructive project for me to tackle.

In that same light, I think I'd like to open up the espresso machine, and hack what is already there. The power tail switch is easier, I'm sure, but I think I'd learn more this way.

An X-10 appliance module would probably be acceptably reliable for an expresso machine.

Don