Remote Pump Monitor

Hi All,

I have a remote pump which fills water trough’s for cattle. This is done via a pressure cylinder, the pressure cylinder has a pressure cut off to stop the pump once the cylinder gets to pressure.

The cows on more than one occasion have broken a pipe causing the pump to run consciously for a number of hours.

I need something to tell me if the pump has been running for more than 5 minutes and if it has been to stop the pump.

If this is triggered then turn a light on that stays latched on until the system is reset.

The main problem is the pump is a 240volt AC

Thoughts?

Thanks
Grant

Use a current sensor on the power feed to the pump and a relay in line with the power feed so you can monitor when the pump is on/off and also stop the pump if it runs for to long.

grantwatson:
Hi All,

I have a remote pump which fills water trough’s for cattle. This is done via a pressure cylinder, the pressure cylinder has a pressure cut off to stop the pump once the cylinder gets to pressure.

The cows on more than one occasion have broken a pipe causing the pump to run consciously for a number of hours.

I need something to tell me if the pump has been running for more than 5 minutes and if it has been to stop the pump.

If this is triggered then turn a light on that stays latched on until the system is reset.

The main problem is the pump is a 240volt AC

Thoughts?

Thanks
Grant

Make a block diagram of your system. You will see the pressure switch also starts the pump when the pressure drops below it's setting. Also note, you have a magnetic contactor or an electronic contactor to actually start and stop the pump motor.

What the next step is for you to determine the control voltage being used on the pressure switch and the motor contactor. That voltage is what your new component must be designed to handle. The actual AC current will be a couple of amps.

Your Arduino will control the operation of the new relay. And the new relay should probably be a solid state relay for reliability.

Paul

get ALL the information about the pump.
it may be that you can use an SSR to control it.
what type of motor ?
many motors will draw 5x the ampere on start, so you need to make sure relay / motor starter / switch, etc can take the high current of the motor starting.

if it is a small motor and an SSR is safe to use,
then the interface should be very simple.

i============

if you can see the pump from your window, you can but a light on it so that the light goes on when there is a failure.

Then again, why not simply have the light turn on when the pump is running?
Whatever turns on the motor can operate a small relay if necessary.
No need for Arduino etc.etc.

How remote? I would use contacts on a small relay with 230VAC coil in parallel with motor lines to signal notification device.

If you know what kind of transforms are on your power pole a lot of the time you can grab one leg and go to ground and get 120 power. Check with your local power lineman though to make sure that will not hurt anything over extended use, some times using one leg for 120 voltage can causes problems. Exactly how and with which transformer you would have to ask your lineman.

If you rather not deal with the power company, it is possible to deal with the 240 power. Just need a different converter to get it down to something you would want to play with. There are a number of surface and board mounted parts that will do the trick. If you do not want to make a custom board with 240 power on it and you are handy with wiring something like this works a treat.

Inside the main pump panel wire in an electrical outlet, make dare sure it is marked as being 240 power(or use one that is not standard to your area), then plug in the above power supply. That will give you 5-12v to play with for power.

In the pumps I have played with I was always able to just use a single leg and all of the wiring to hold the magnet closed was already wired with a single leg. To turn the pump off and not let it restart just wire a relay in series with the hand/auto switch.(Need to know how the wiring works for your current sensor that turns the pump on, it should already be in series with the hand/auto.)

As for telling how long the pump has been on, I would temped to see if there is a way to wire into the same sensor you already have that turns the pump on. It is probably going to be 120v which can be done, but is annoying to work with when the arudino uses 5v.

I would be thinking of ways for the Arduino to sense the pump working without touching any of the high voltage stuff. If your pump vibrates a lot, might consider a vibration sensor. If it is loud some of those noise sensors are pretty handy if there is no wind around.

For the light it depends on how bright and how omi-directional you need it. Some of these small LEDs are extremely impressive as visual indicators even out to over a mile if you are in just the right spot and they could be wired straight to the Arduino with a resistor. I have found they do best with a high contrasting color around them and keeping them out of direct light.

Keep us posted this is an interesting project.

Brandan34:
If you know what kind of transforms are on your power pole a lot of the time you can grab one leg and go to ground and get 120 power. Check with your local power lineman though to make sure that will not hurt anything over extended use, some times using one leg for 120 voltage can causes problems.

You are joking right...??

Only thing this will achieve is getting a big fat no-no notice from the local authority and probably a fine into the bargain.

Can you not just tap into the power supply to this setup, which maybe is not remote ? And measure the current - deduce from that if the pump is ruining ?

first of, how do you want to be notified ?

techie questions
how far from the nearest WiFi / internet is your pump ?
you have power, so that is not a problem

it is a simple thing to wire in a relay into the existing logic that turns your pump off and on

Any arduino can be powered from a phone charger, said phone charger plugged into the 230V line

A current transformer can monitor the power and can run a simple timer program.

depending on how you want to be alerted, and how far the pump is, depends if you need a special radio, LoRa or if a RF radio can work, of if you can just WiFi / ESP NOW the signal back.

Brandan34:
If you know what kind of transforms are on your power pole a lot of the time you can grab one leg [...]

A few rules on this board include: don't play with dangerous voltages, don't do stupid things with dangerous voltages, and don't advice others to play with or do stupid things with dangerous voltages.

I don't know if the OP will ever come back, but if they do: I believe a schematic (and some photos) of the existing setup would be very enlightening, and give some usable ways of getting an on/off signal out of it.

Just a thought.... a CT is a non-contact current transformer. as current flows in a single conductor, the CT generates a small signal. it steals a miniscue bit of power.
the Arduino uses a miniscule bit of power....

anyone have any experience running a micro-controller from the power of a CT ?

in this case, it could be
turn on when the pump is running.
count to 5 minutes
send LoRa signal out to show it timed out.

wvmarle:
A few rules on this board include: don't play with dangerous voltages, don't do stupid things with dangerous voltages, and don't advice others to play with or do stupid things with dangerous voltages.

If that is the case this whole post thread is outside the rules of the board as the main thing the OP wanted to know, was how to deal with 240 power.

bluejets:
Only thing this will achieve is getting a big fat no-no notice from the local authority and probably a fine into the bargain.

No idea about other countries or states, which I should have mentioned. In Oregon a certified electrician, the owner or the owner's representative(normally a renter) of the pump can fix/modify anything as they please after the meter. From context it sounded like he would be in the second category.

Do not open any tagged boxes and do not mess around in the meter or anywhere on their side of the meter.