Remote Shutdown System

Hello my fellow humble friends!

I would like to build a "Remote Shutdown System" which involves a simple remote control and a receiver.

The remote I would prefer to be powered by a 3v coin battery, have a normally opened momentary pushbutton and a single LED for feedback. Basically my idea is that when the pushbutton is pressed it completes the circuit and instantly starts sending a signal to the receiver to activate, or "shutdown" the process it's controlling. I assume this method will help the controllers battery last much longer.

The receiver I would like to be powered by either 120vAC and/or 24vDC, (maybe 5vDC in addition as well), which receives the signal and opens a normally closed contact. The idea of course is that you can put a leg of power through the contact and if it needs to be shutdown remotely you can press the button on the remote and it will open.

Now, I don't know much about remote control and I need to know what the best option I have for sending the signal in this type of system. The remote should be able to work at distances of 300ft and work outside of a house, whilst the receiver is inside.

Also, I want to be able to "connect" multiple remotes to a single receiver, as well as multiple receivers to a single remote. I could probably figure this part out later, but if anyone has expertise they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your friendly and well thought advice! Alright folks, happy Arudino-ing!

The remote should be able to work at distances of 300ft and work outside of a house, whilst the receiver is inside.

You have your work cut out with that.

Possibly this will do:-
http://www.cooking-hacks.com/documentation/tutorials/extreme-range-lora-sx1272-module-shield-arduino-raspberry-pi-intel-galileo

Bryce1111: The remote should be able to work at distances of 300ft and work outside of a house, whilst the receiver is inside.

That sounds very suspicious. What exactly are you trying to do?

...R

haha @Robin2

I work on a ship, and I would like to design this system so anywhere on the deck of the vessel I can shut down a running pump connected through the emergency shut down (ESD) circuit instead of having to be next to an ESD pull station.

So it is not actually a house. There is a lot of screening in the steel hull of a boat, if you put a radio receiver in that I suspect you will get no signal at all. I don't think this project is possible.

Surprisingly VHF and UHF radios work through certain parts of the vessel. Also, the receiver doesn't necessarily have to be installed behind a bulkhead. It could be installed by a window on the bridge.

I am reading into the "Extreme Range Links" you posted. It's very intriguing! "830m through 4 buildings?!"

Bryce1111: emergency shut down (ESD) circuit instead of having to be next to an ESD pull station.

No insurer will accept a DIY system ON A SHIP that has any impact on an emergency system. Just enjoy the exercise walking to the nearest ESD station.

Enough ships get into trouble without the assistance of DIY systems.

...R