Remote (Wifi) USB switch via Arduino

I'm a complete noob here. In fact, I don't even have an Arduino yet... I was just thinking about a project that I THINK would be pretty simple to do and figured I'd look into it first. I just want to make sure I'm not insane by oversimplifying this.

I have a TV with a powered USB port that powers a string of LED lights providing a groovy glowy effect around the TV. And, since both my wife and I are lazy, neither of us wants to get out of bed to unplug the blasted USB cable to turn off the lights.

I was thinking I could power the Arduino with the power from the TV (via USB) and then plug the string of LED lights into another USB port connected to the Arduino board. I would then control the power being sent to the LED Lights via my phone (probably by hitting some endpoint from my phone: e.g. http://10.0.0.1/off).

I'm assuming this is possible, but I really have no idea where to start or what parts or components I need, so I am humbly groveling at your feet hoping you could pass over a few crumbs.

Thank you!

Were you planning on writing the app for the phone too?

"I'm a complete noob here. In fact, I don't even have an Arduino yet... I was just thinking about a project that I THINK would be pretty simple to do and figured I'd look into it first. I just want to make sure I'm not insane by oversimplifying this."

Well, if you are not already familiar with electronics and soldering and such, it probably ain't gonna happen. That being said, if you are, you might make a switch for the leds using an NPN transistor in one of the USB +- wires going to the leds.