Remove no ascii codes

I am using an esp8266 as my main processor (no arduino hooked up to tx and rx) and I can read in the wifi name from the EEprom, but when I display it as the value=" wifivariablename" I end up getting a bunch of ��� where there are not characters. When I check the string length of the wifi name it comes up as 32 characters, even though it’s only 7 characters, so it’s counting the � as characters. the eeprom shows them as 0’s when I print them in the serial window.

How do I eliminate the extra spaces, and I guess change any spaces to the space charcter, not �

s += "</label><input name='ssid' length=32 value=""";
      s += esid;
      s += """> ";

the html code that is displayed looks like this, and interestingly when I cut from the browser and paste to this message all the extra spaces are gone, so I’ve simulated them:

<form method='get' action='a'><label>SSID:chipdip            </label><input name='ssid' length=32 value=chipdip              >

You've got a bug in your code somewhere. Fix it and all will be good again.

Your error is in line 33. That my best guess since you didn't bother to post your code.

I was thinking it was on line 33.

Here’s the way I suck up the wifi ssid name. It’s basically cut and paste and works fine. I can write to it and read it back and it works great.

Here’s how I read it.

String esid;
EEPROM.begin(512);
for (int i = 0; i < 32; ++i)
 {
   esid += char(EEPROM.read(i));
 }
 Serial.print("SSID: ");
 Serial.println(esid);
 Serial.print(esid.length());

Here’s how I write it.

String req;    
Serial.println("clearing eeprom");
      for (int i = 0; i < 96; ++i) {
        EEPROM.write(i, 0);
      }
      String qsid;
      qsid = req.substring(8, req.indexOf('&'));
      Serial.println(qsid);
      Serial.println("")

Serial.println("writing eeprom ssid:");
      for (int i = 0; i < qsid.length(); ++i)
      {
        EEPROM.write(i, qsid[i]);
        Serial.print("Wrote: ");
        Serial.println(qsid[i]);
      }

It writes it as 0’s and reads as 0’s, but when I test the string length it comes up as 32 bytes, which is the correct size for the ssid field, but my network name is only 7 characters.

If I search google on the character I found a site that tells me all about it.

Interestingly enough when I copied and pasted the web address to this page the � symbol was replaced by %EF%BF%BD

here’s what I found. It’s a table and it’s much easier to see on the linked page.

1 unique codes for 1 characters:
Hex Dec
Native Symbola [1] Code UTF-8 UTF-16 LE Name Cat Block
� � FFFD EF BF BD FD FF REPLACEMENT CHARACTER So Specials
1 Unicode block:
Name Range Chart
Specials FFF0-FFFF PDF

I think it has something to do with utf 8, but not sure.

String req;    
Serial.println("clearing eeprom");
      for (int i = 0; i < 96; ++i) {
        EEPROM.write(i, 0);
      }
      String qsid;
      qsid = req.substring(8, req.indexOf('&'));
      Serial.println(qsid);
      Serial.println("")

Serial.println("writing eeprom ssid:");
      for (int i = 0; i < qsid.length(); ++i)
      {
        EEPROM.write(i, qsid[i]);
        Serial.print("Wrote: ");
        Serial.println(qsid[i]);
      }

Where does req get a value put in it?

Post complete code. If you want to work with snippets go here: http://snippets-r-us.com/

And I hate to give you a standard answer, but you know String class is a bad actor on memory limited environments like a microcontroller. You should really be avoiding that.

I solved it.

for (int i = 0; i < 32; ++i)
  if (int(EEPROM.read(i)) > 31) 
  {
    esid += char(EEPROM.read(i));
  }

I test to see if the acsii character is less then 31. If so then skip it because it’s a control character.

32 is a space and is allowed as part of the ssid.

I write 0’s to the first 96 bytes to make sure they’re clean, and so when I read in the first 32 bytes I get 0’s which the char(EEPROM.read(i)) function converts 0. 0 is a control byte so the processor ignores it but when I send that string to a web page it shows the 0’s as �.

Interesting and a bit mind numbing.

I think that was on line 33! haha!