Removing the ATmega chip as a standalone

Hi guys,

So i am really new to this and sorry if this is a stupid question. I have my Arduino Duemilanove board connected to an 8 x 8 bicolour matrix and have uploaded a programme and im happy with it now. I now want to start other projects, but would like to keep the matrix as a standalone, putting it on a pcb with its own power supply and a switch etc. Do I just take the atmega chip out of my arduinio and wire it up to the pcb and give it power and it will run? Or do I have to have the whole arduinio board connected each time i run the matrix? I notice you can buy the ATmega chips inexpensively and am thinking this is why. If you can remove it, how do you know which pins on the ATmega IC relate to which on the arduinio board?

Many thanks

Chris

You can remove the chip and wire it into a circuit of its own. See this page for more:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone

Another way is to get an Arduino Mini or Pro Mini for the standalone - this has the advantage that its small, cheaper than a Duemilanove, you get to choose 3.3V or 5V.

Not as cheap as a ATmega chip, but much simpler - remember the ATmega for the Arduino is configured for a crystal oscillator so you'll need the crystal and perhaps a voltage regulator too... You might find the Pro Mini is a cheaper solution (and its so cute!)

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, barnurubble. The link that tigoe provided is a good source of information. Another place you might want to check is my Instructable named Standalone-Arduino-ATMega-chip-on-breadboard. Sorry I can't post a direct link because I've never posted here before.

Many of us do exactly what you are looking to do - I normally just etch a PCB with ISP pins. Then mount the basic m168 chip, a 16mhz resonator, and a 7805 with a couple of caps - less than $6 for it all. The PCB will have input/outputs for sensors, alarms, etc to provide a complete stand alone project.

For power supply monitor and a temperature controller I added a LCD display to have a complete system displaying temperature, setpoint, current, voltage, etc.

Easy to do, and sure does make a neat project.

Ken H>