Repeat email notifications

Is anyone else getting repeated email notifications from the forum today? I've received 150 duplicate new topic notifications for this post in the last 12 hours.

I get a double notification from time to time, but this is the first time something like this has happened in my 6 years on the forum.

I have emails not configured, but the number at Alerts link shows me a higher number then there are alerts.

Yes I am but if you saw my post in the backroom you already know that LOL.

Just tagging my name to this list as a person of interest (in a good way) :smiling_imp:

ballscrewbob:
Yes I am but if you saw my post in the backroom you already know that LOL.

I did see that and thought of it as soon as the emails started rolling in. I wanted to gauge how widespread the problem is by polling the forum. I'm sure we'd have heard all about it by now if it were happening to everyone who has email notifications turned on (or maybe it's just that nobody here enables email). It is interesting that the only two reports so far are moderators.

Are you still getting the repeated email notifications, or was it only those 6 you reported?

ballscrewbob:
in a good way

Hah! "Good" isn't a term I'd apply to what's happening in my inbox. Of course, I can just add a filter to make it stop, but I thought it was worth monitoring. I'm sure Arduino's servers have plenty enough load already without sending zillions of extra emails.

Not been in the house much to see for sure.
But am at my desk for a while now as snow has stopped play in the garage.

But the weekend will give me more idea as to the problem.
Right now not as many reports so hard to tell.

Well, you should close the garage door, keep the snow out.

I don't have notifications turned on.

CrossRoads:
Well, you should close the garage door, keep the snow out.

I don't have notifications turned on.

lol I wish I could open the door !
Have a load of stuff for the garbage tip but have been finishing some pieces ready to put on the machine so trying to keep the dust down but varnish etc does not dry too well with the cold.

OK the weekend proved that this notification bug really is a royal pain.

Sometimes it just a dual notification and on others three times is NOT a charm its a curse.

Its not even consistent !

Not yet seen any "single" notifications.
Seems like it may be passing information to more than one server and they all decide to send at once because the other didn't do it.

and I have this here

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 21-51-21.png

so it is not a problem of e-maling system.

and it counts up, but there is still no topic in the list

update. 21 reported. 4 in list

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 22-19-53.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 21-51-21.png

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 22-19-53.png

Do you have the pop up alerts enabled Juraj ?
Those are more the ones we see issues with.

Although you may have found another one LOL

I don't have email notifications turned on but the mixture of spurious and missing on screen notifications is driving me nuts and making spotting posts potentially needing moderator action practically impossible

ballscrewbob:
Do you have the pop up alerts enabled Juraj ?
Those are more the ones we see issues with.

Although you may have found another one LOL

the wrong alerts count started the same day as Per started this thread.
I am sure it has the same underlying issue.

i’m receiving emails for new thread postings. but there are several issues

• sometimes the email is for a posting several hours ago
  • sometimes the thread does not have the posting in the email
  • it doesn’t appear that i’m receiving emails for all new thread posts

also for my postings, on the left side with my infomation

• there’s an email icon for myself that doesn’t appear for others
  • there’s a link allowing me to add karma to myself

also, when submitting a response i’m taken back to the forums main page, instead of the thread and my post is not submitted. Fortunately, my pending post appears in a reply box if I manually go back to the thread

seems all these problem occurred within the last few weeks

See Repeat email notifications

gcjr:
also, when submitting a response i'm taken back to the forums main page, instead of the thread and my post is not submitted. Fortunately, my pending post appears in a reply box if I manually go back to the thread

I can confirm this problem. It also happens when using the "preview" button. Clicking it sometimes discards the reply and takes me to the main page instead.

Not sure how this is related to "programming questions", though, it might be more appropriate here: Issues · arduino/forum-issues · GitHub or https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=24.0

Pieter

Not sure how this is related to "programming questions", though

I have merged it with another thread on the same subject in Website and Forum and that is the thread that you are reading

Regarding reply #8, I often have to refresh the page to see the alerts, it will say I have some number of alerts but doesn't show them until I refresh the page.

The repeat emails have continued for me. There are now two topics I continually am getting new topic email notifications about, the one I mentioned previously and this one:

They are both by the same user.

I'm not getting a noticeable number of repeats of emails for any other topics.

I've received 1400 of these emails over the last 4 days.

I never use the "alerts" feature, so I don't know whether that's working for me as expected, or not.

Hi Per.

There are clearly some underlying issues that started a little over two weeks ago.
Doesn't look like everyone is affected but there was a report in the german section from a user so I dropped a link back to this topic.

I have no idea what changes were made but clearly they have adverse side affects that need fixing.
Somebody needs to crack the whip back there before it becomes something critical.
Got the feeling I have been "fluffed off" with anything I could find so am getting a little reticent to keep up.

I understand the world has gone to hXXX in a handbasket and some back there have more on thier minds right now but we do need a functioning forum.

I've received 1400 of these emails over the last 4 days.

Thankfully I don't use email alerts, but the online alert system is still broken. The number of alerts reported is way too high, presumably due to spurious alerts, whilst the number available to view bears no relationship to the number reported.

This shows up in the most obvious way if you mark all alerts read then refresh the screen frequently or move between topics thus refreshing the screen. Often a new alert will be signalled but opening the dialogue there are actually no alerts to view. A side effect, or possibly part of the cause, is that opening the alerts list to view them results in a delay of a few seconds followed by being dumped to the list of forum topics