replace the 16MHz clock crystal with a 555 timer??

hello every one,
i’m trying to build an arduino circuit to be used for my electronics project. i was asked to use as much resources as possible and it will be graded so i thought of using a 555 timer to build the arduino circuit replacing the 16MHz clock crystal but i don’t know if it is possible or not as i don’t have wide knowledge about it. can anyone help? thanks in advance.

I expect you could, but the 555 timer spec sheet advertizes “maximum operating frequency greater than 500 kHz”. That’s not very fast.

That being said, here’s the shot of the page from the spec sheet that talks about it.

Basically no you can't. The 555 will not go that fast and even if it did then you would not be able to get the frequency exact enough and stable enouggh to allow aysynchronous serial communication. In other words you would not be able to upload sketches.

Mahmoud-alashi:
i was asked to use as much resources as possible

A 555 timer is not at all suitable to replace a crystal/resonator. It would probably get you a better assessment if you used resources that were sensible to achieve something useful, rather than just adding parts for the sake of adding them. Look for something you can do with an Arduino that requires external electrics/electronics.

I don't think that this is what you where asked to do!. Go back and check!.

Mark

holmes4:

I don't think that this is what you where asked to do!. Go back and check!.

Mark

Yeah, maybe they meant these resources:

Peripheral Features – Two 8-bit Timer/Counters with Separate Prescaler and Compare Mode – One 16-bit Timer/Counter with Separate Prescaler, Compare Mode, and Capture Mode – Real Time Counter with Separate Oscillator – Six PWM Channels – 6-channel 10-bit ADC in PDIP Package – Programmable Serial USART – Master/Slave SPI Serial Interface – Byte-oriented 2-wire Serial Interface (Philips I2C compatible) – Programmable Watchdog Timer with Separate On-chip Oscillator – On-chip Analog Comparator – Interrupt and Wake-up on Pin Change