Replacing gate opening controller with Arduino

Another point that may already have been made:

If you separate the parts of the project, you see that you could do huge parts of the software, communications and user interface aspects without worrying about the motors, how many phases they have or haven’t and how to drive them.

You could get the power part, that is the motors and drivers, working without any programming beyond simple go/no-go testing from a logic level.

Do both, get all the wrinkles tweezed out, then combine them… with any luck, not much excitement or fun or trouble at that point. Cough!

I would probably go further with the software first, but that’s just me. Perhaps you know what the deal breaker would be for you - start there, like the motor drivers e.g., If that turns up a problem, no wasted time yet on a buncha software.

a7

I found this schema of the current system that explains the current system better than I can:

OK, here is what I found in English -- For those who "ne peux pas parlez le Francais." - lucky I do, but the electrical words I don't knows, so I went looking for the English version:

Protecto gate Controller

You definitely have a single-phase input, and looking at the way the controller is programmed, it is VERY MUCH like a "Variable Frequency Drive." I am still leaning toward this having 3-phase motors.

I'm hoping to dig some info out of the above link, but you will probably have to just ask the manufacturer - or pay the $150 to get a new board, which is not a bad idea.

In fact, the vast majority of AC "squirrel cage" motors - those that have a passive rotor - have two field windings (or a "shaded pole" design for lightweight motors) in order to produce a rotating field.

In many, the "starting" winding has a phase lag due to its much higher winding inductance and because this is inefficient, a centrifugal mechanism switches it out once the motor starts. Alternatively the second winding may have a leading phase from a series capacitor which again, may be switched out ("capacitor start") or remain in circuit ("capacitor run").

So a "capacitor run" motor may have two symmetrical windings, in which case either may be connected via the capacitor according to which way the motor should run and in either case the capacitor is connected between the two winding actives, thus the simple reversing circuit illustrated above.

So you are thinking this is just a single-phase (which explains the Capacitor)?

I know of "shaded pole" motors and I think they are common in ceiling fans -- and from what I understand they are "variable speed," although I don't know how (I assume it is controlling the Hz the same way we do 3-phase motors).

OK, I can buy that. I would guess we just need to put some mains power to a "common" and a open/close lead and see what happens. Once the OP does that, and it works, then it would simply need a few relays.

The Arduino coding would pretty simple if these are single-phase.

No it doesn't.
The cap will become the start winding when the other leg is energised.

Hi

The capacitor is a RUN capacitor, it is across the motor winding permanently.
See post #8.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Call it what you will but the fact remains the capacitor causes leading sine wave and therefore becomes the start winding.
Depends on which side of the equator one lives .
Similar when referring to the motor.
You call it 2 phase whereas here it is split phase.
My point was it doesn't cause any winding to be open.

Can the sergiuwd just put 230v on the motors and see if they run?