Replacing Pro Trinket Bootloader? Is it Possible?

Can you tell me if the Adafruit Pro Trinket bootloader is incompatible with Nick Gammon's board_programmer sketch?

Here is a partial output from the board_detector sketch, reading from a Pro Trinket 3.3V :

Atmega chip detector.
Written by Nick Gammon.
Version 1.17
Compiled on Jan 12 2016 at 21:52:25 with Arduino IDE 10601.
Attempting to enter ICSP programming mode ...
Entered programming mode OK.
Signature = 0x1E 0x95 0x0F
Processor = ATmega328P
Flash memory size = 32768 bytes.
LFuse = 0xFF
HFuse = 0xD0
EFuse = 0xFD
Lock byte = 0xCF
Clock calibration = 0x98
Bootloader in use: Yes
EEPROM preserved through erase: Yes
Watchdog timer always on: No
Bootloader is 4096 bytes starting at 7000

Bootloader:

7000: 0x58 0xC0 0x00 0x00 0x8B 0xC0 0x00 0x00 0x6F 0xC0 0x00 0x00 0x6D 0xC0 0x00 0x00
7010: 0x6B 0xC0 0x00 0x00 0x69 0xC0 0x00 0x00 0x67 0xC0...

When I try to program a UNO bootloader on the board, it won't enter programming mode.

Here is the background :
I've created breadboard ATMega328Ps using Nick's board_detector and board_programmer sketches in the past.
I have a low current draw project that needs to run on batteries for a long period of time (> 3 months). I set this up on a breadboard and can get the system to hibernate at ~ .4 mA. This is good enough for my purposes. I wanted to use the Pro Trinket as the chip for the project but it's minimal current draw is around 2mA, even after disabling the power LED. I speculate it is due to the extensive bootloader they have written to allow USB downloads. I'd like to replace it with a basic UNO bootloader but that leads me back to the question above. I can't seem to replace the bootloader it ships with.
thanks,

The pro trinket runs a different bootloader than the UNO in order to get USB working. I think you'l be able to burn the UNO bootloader, but you will not be able to use native USB to program the board

sarge:
When I try to program a UNO bootloader on the board, it won't enter programming mode.

What is "it"? Clearly the detector entered programming mode, and the bootloader programmer uses the same wiring. Can you post the output from the bootloader programmer?

Or do you mean, the bootloader programmed, but doesn't do what you want?

The trinket runs a USB bootloader, MUCH different from the Uno bootloader. If you put the Uno bootloader on it, it should work, but only over the serial port - it won't be able to upload over USB any more. (This is the same thing that hansibull said, rephrased slightly.)

it's minimal current draw is around 2mA, even after disabling the power LED. I speculate it is due to the extensive bootloader they have written to allow USB downloads

The bootloader would not affect its operation at all, apart from directly after reset. I suggest you look elsewhere.

http://www.gammon.com.au/power

sarge:
<…>
Here is the background :
I’ve created breadboard ATMega328Ps using Nick’s board_detector and board_programmer sketches in the past.
I have a low current draw project that needs to run on batteries for a long period of time (> 3 months). I set this up on a breadboard and can get the system to hibernate at ~ .4 mA. This is good enough for my purposes. I wanted to use the Pro Trinket as the chip for the project but it’s minimal current draw is around 2mA, even after disabling the power LED. I speculate it is due to the extensive bootloader they have written to allow USB downloads. I’d like to replace it with a basic UNO bootloader but that leads me back to the question above. I can’t seem to replace the bootloader it ships with.
thanks,

I have cloned the Trinket Pro
Tchotchke

But the issue with low power is that V-USB as implemented requires a pull-up resistor and that will forever cause a low drain regardless of the AVR sleep mode… see this link for R3 1500 Ohm pull-up.

If the USB is not connected, then all of Nick’s low-power tips should work… you may need to pull the LDO regulator for the last little current leakage.

Ray

mrburnette:
I have cloned the Trinket Pro
Tchotchke

But the issue with low power is that V-USB as implemented requires a pull-up resistor and that will forever cause a low drain regardless of the AVR sleep mode.. see this link for R3 1500 Ohm pull-up.

If the USB is not connected, then all of Nick's low-power tips should work... you may need to pull the LDO regulator for the last little current leakage.

Ray

Very cool Ray! Pro Trinket is one of my faves - your clone looks great! By the way ... you look way better on your website than you do here. Almost human!

ChrisTenone:
Very cool Ray! Pro Trinket is one of my faves - your clone looks great! By the way ... you look way better on your website than you do here. Almost human!

Haha ;D
That other website was too anal to allow me to use my real image like I can do here, so I found a retired nerd to fill in for me.

Ray