Replica ferrari electric folding roof

This is my first post, various links have led me to this forum. I'm building a F430 Ferrari replica and want to automate the manual folding roof. I'm a field service engineer working with Mitsi fx series plc units for controlled automation and safety, unfortunately although the plc units would be perfect for my analogue inputs of start, stop, limit switches, control of linear actuators and solenoids (designed for this kind of stuff) They are expensive, large and tend to be industry 24v dc. I've also changed jobs so don't have access to the programming software or the handheld programmers/eproms. Can an Arduino control (through a recommended interface) the actuators and solenoids via relays whether solid state or coil based, what Arduino equipment is recommended Here's a rough requirement of inputs/outputs

7 inputs n/o, n/c when made 4 outputs to relay control of solenoid or actuator, only need on or off as operation will be fully extended or retracted on a time base function in the software. What sort of protection does the Arduino require, we normally put varistors across the dc terminals to protect spiking and surge being fed back to the plcs.

I'm looking at the feasability of this project using the Arduino as a controller etc..... I'll look at progamming if the controller is a viable option Cheers Darren

Can an Arduino control ... the actuators and solenoids

Yes, it can.

What sort of protection does the Arduino require, we normally put varistors across the dc terminals to protect spiking and surge being fed back to the plcs.

No less.