Reply checking

While posting a response to a thread, the forum checks for responses made while you are typing. If a response is made, the forum posts a warning and dumps the response you just spent a considerable time formulating.

Why? Can't that stupid shit be stopped?

Does it dump it or does it warn and let you post it anyway (you'll have to click the post button once more) ? I'm used to the latter and have seen this happen today. That was after clicking the reply button, this one is a "quick reply". Was yours a quick reply ?

PaulS:
While posting a response to a thread, the forum checks for responses made while you are typing. If a response is made, the forum posts a warning and dumps the response you just spent a considerable time formulating.

Curious. Hasn’t happened to me, and it is not as if I haven’t posted a lot and had the red text come up.

You do have “ajax” turned on in NoScript presumably?

You do have "ajax" turned on in NoScript presumably?

I recognize all the words. The order makes no sense.

I don't think it dumps it, however it doesn't post it either. You have to look carefully because what looks like your new post is really just the preview, with a warning message out of sight somewhere.

However the fact that the preview and the finished post are all in completely different sized fonts, line spacing etc. (which hardly makes it a preview does it?) makes it slightly easier to do this.

PaulS, I'm surprised you haven't complained about the code boxes being limited to 9 lines, which you can't resize. Isn't that driving you mad?

PaulS: I recognize all the words. The order makes no sense.

:grinning:

Something very strange happened when I went to quote you - it picked up your text, but not your quote of myself. How odd!

All the "magic" of the text box and the widget under the avatar at the top of the page which tells you if you have messages, is done by JavaScript from ajax.googleapis.com in the current version of the forum software. In the previous version, it was performed by a different JavaScript on-line library. If NoScript prevents those libraries from loading, you do not get all the editing icons and widgets (they just are not there!) and all sorts of things behave quite differently, though the forum at least still works.

PaulS, I'm surprised you haven't complained about the code boxes being limited to 9 lines, which you can't resize. Isn't that driving you mad?

I'm happy to let you carry that torch. Hopefully you can burn someone with it.

I also find the small amount of code presented annoying - the entire screen is constantly scrolling up & down on me as I mouse-roll thru code.

Paul__B: Something very strange happened when I went to quote you - it picked up your text, but not your quote of myself. How odd!

This is due to another bug (or feature) in the new forum software that has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not exactly sure where. It was called "no quotes within quotes" or something like that.

Don

Must be some attempt to get rid of bugs: no nests allowed. :roll_eyes:

CrossRoads: I also find the small amount of code presented annoying - the entire screen is constantly scrolling up & down on me as I mouse-roll thru code.

I made a big fuss when the code box had no limit and I am quite happy with it now because I use the select button and copy the code to my text editor which I find much easier to work with. No matter the size of the code box it lacks (and always did lack) the ability to highlight words and to mark the ends of functions.

When I first look at a Post I am much more interested to get the OP's comments (which are often above and below the code) before deciding whether to look at the code.

Obviously I have no objection to a reasonable increase in the size - but if it goes more than double what it is now I reckon it will become unwieldy.

If it is possible to leave its present size and re-enable the ability to manually expand it maybe everyone would be happy.

...R

Obviously I have no objection to a reasonable increase in the size - but if it goes more than double what it is now I reckon it will become unwieldy.

I don’t want it (much) larger, I want it resizable larger. Perhaps it could be a little larger, and the font inside reduced. But the important thing is that if we see 90% of someone’s code, we can just click and drag to see the lot without having to select all, copy, open text editor, make new window, paste.