repurposing a phone camera

Recently the digitizer on my galaxy s6 was damaged, got a replacement (digitizer) that failed quickly, got my money back and for an extra $50 I got a new phone, leaving me with a perfectly good phone & camera, but no screen to control it with. Not interested in spending another $150 on a digitizer, but would like to put the camera to use. I have little idea if this is possible, or how to approach it but I am open to suggestions. Here are the few little ideas I have:

-some sort of emulator connected to a computer -pull the camera itself out & connect to an arduino board (this seems more plausible, but would require encoding software (all the stuff in between the raw video data & the mp4 or whatever)

couple other things: -size / tethered are irrelevant as I intent to use this in my shop (no need to be portable, although it would be nice).

so please share your ideas & point me in the right direction.

thanks.

Most all of us want to reuse parts in projects or re-purpose a device as a new breed of hack; but the S6 and most smartphones these days are just too proprietary when something like the sole input device (digitizer) is busted.

Were it mine, it would go on ebay, offer it for $25 - $50 as parts-only. The charger & battery are worth $25+ used so you may get the higher price. Take your new found wealth and go buy yourself a meal.

Ray

Hi,

"digitizer" == "display screen",

Am I right ?

Tom... :confused:

TomGeorge: Hi,

"digitizer" == "display screen",

Am I right ?

Tom... :confused:

yup

Hi all

Always wondered why they don't use a tough plastic rather than the fragile thin glass on those screens... couldn't it be done?

regards Allan.

allanhurst: Hi all

Always wondered why they don't use a tough plastic rather than the fragile thin glass on those screens... couldn't it be done?

regards Allan.

@Allen,

From my understanding, the screen, digitizer, polarizer, outer glass are all sandwiched together but not bonded. The digitizer is capactive and uses tin oxide for the transparent conductors. I am unsure if the tin oxide can be vacuum deposited on plastic. I suspect it could, but outside my knowledge.

Glass (or synthetic sapphire) is likely the optimum material for high-yield.

Ray

originally the damage was only to the screen (the top layer of glass that protects the digitizer) That's a 10$ part vs the $150 digitizer, I attempted to replace it, let me tell you, they are most certainly bonded. And that was destroyed way beyond use. The replacement called for the use of a UV activated clear adhesive, not sure how its done in the factory, but probably something similar. It does release with heat, but +- 10deg will destroy the digi.

Per the question of a plastic screen.... a) the most durable plastic is many many times softer than glass b) it appears the focus has been on making more durable/flexible glasses and there have been good advances there, ive see glass that's roughly 0.050" bend into about a 12 circle with no fractures.

so as always hardness & brittleness are one in the same. that is to say the characteristic that makes it durable to everyday wear, leaves it vulnerable to acute impacts.

back on topic: how about the "control from a computer" method ...i can currently tether it and transfer files and such...anyone know of software to mirror an androids display on the comp screen?