repurposing motors - can't find specificatons

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and new to the world of arduino. I'm doing my homework to prepare for a home automation project, and I've been keeping my eye out for old electronic gadgets that I might be able to steal parts from. My project will be automating the sliding door on our hen house to open after sunrise and close after sunset. I'm also thinking of expanding this project to include a thermostat to turn on a heat lamp. It seems simple enough, and I'm enjoying learning all sorts of new things, but I'm stymied about whether one of the little motors I found might work to raise the door.

I have two pretty powerful little motors: one was from a shiatsu massage pillow that "someone" connected to the wrong power charger, which I think damaged the power supply, but maybe not the motor; the other is from a small "Fellowes" paper shredder, the kind that sits on top of a waste basket. I found the shredder in a junk bin, and it looks like it's in good shape, except where a bunny(?) chewed up the power cord. Neither of the motors have very much in the way of markings.

Here's what it says on the massage pillow motor:

Model: ZYT3442, DC12V
Date: 2013.07.03FL
The motor has a red wire and a black wire, and a worm-drive gear sticking out of each end
It's about 2-1/2 inches long and two inches in diameter;

Here's what I have for the shredder motor:
Shenzhen Dongfuchang Electric Motor Company
High 4630M 120
120V/60hz
P-5S
The motor doesn't have a housing, you can see most of the guts.
It has one-each red, blue, green and white wires.

The shredder motor assembly is connected to several nice little switches and things, but no leds.

I'm hoping that I can use one of these to raise the hen house door. I'm not sure if I need a motor shield or some other setup, or if I can reuse the purpose components came with the motors. I'm not sure what went wrong with the massage pillow, but it got plugged into a power supply with an output of 15V AC 1100m. The power supply that the pillow came with had an output of 12V (horizontal line above a broken line) 2.5A.

The hen house door weighs a couple of pounds and slides in tracks, it's raised with a cord that goes over a pulley, and then runs along the ceiling to the other end of the hen house. I have a good place to mount the motor and arduino setup inside a closet at the end of the hen house. If pictures of the motors (or hen house) would help, let me know and I'll try to attach some photos.

Any advice folks here can give would be greatly appreciated, I'm reading a lot of background stuff, and trying to learn enough to get this project off the ground. If you recommend just buying an off-the-shelf motor, I would appreciate thoughts on what to look for.

Thanks,
-Tom

As you don't seem to know anything about it I suggest you DO NOT use the shredder motor as it is rated at 120v AC and would be dangerous.

The only thing I can think of for the pillow massage motor is to connect the wires to a big 6v or 12v battery and see what happens. The smoke may escape but at least you won't be electrocuted.

...R

If you can balance most of the weight of the door with a counterweight, then you won't need a very big motor.

If you can find a gear that will mesh acceptably well with the worm gear then that would make a very good non-reversible drive unit. (Pushing on the door locks the gears instead of rotating the motor.)