Repurposing my 3D printer components

I have a 3D printer that I no longer use or need. I'd like to use the electronics and stepper motorss to drive a CNC router from Inventables (X-Carve).

I have 5 x NEMA 17 stepper motors, an Arduino Mega 2560 board, a RAMPS 1.4 board with 5 Pololu A4988 stepper motor driver carriers.

I am early stage in this project and believe these items can be used but would need a control program to drive everything just as my 3D printer did. As I am not proficient in this area I'm hoping someone else has done this before and will share his/her expertise and I don't have to start at Zero.

Any comments or suggetions would be appreciated.

Bob

Marlin can drive a CNC mill. You just have to send it the appropriate G-code commands.

You don't say what background knowledge you have. Stepper motor basics may be useful.

I have added three stepper motors to a small lathe using my own Arduino code. I use a Python program on my PC to interpret the GCode.

...R

Looks like the X-Carve design uses an Arduino UNO and a 'gshield' (GRBL Shield) running "Grbl CNC 0.9i" firmware. You can probably re-configure GRBL to run on an Arduino MEGA with a RAMPS 1.4 shield. Here is someone working on such a project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/grblforramps14/