Request: Ability to tell the IDE what IP to use for Yun

Sometimes it takes a really long time for the IDE to find the Yun. I can ping it. I can run REST commands on it. And sometimes it will find it. But having to sit here and wait/hope for it to discover it is painfully slow. I wish I could tell it what IP to use and bypass the network discovery. I even have my Yun on a DHCP reservation, so the IP never changes.

I've already opened up the right ports but that doesn't matter. I believe the issue is because I am also connected to a VPN, but even then it will still find it randomly. If I had the ability to put in the Yun IP, it would be so much easier to manage.

I second this very reasonable request.

aromring:
I second this very reasonable request.

@aromring,
please do not restart old threads. If you have a request, please make it. This person, from the writing, has a mis-comprehension of how the system can work.

If you would like a system that you can access sooner (with or without your IDE), please start a new thread and make that request. Adding on to old threads, like this, is just like making noise.

FWIW: this can be a trivial task, or an involved task.

Jese

jessemonroy650:
This person, from the writing, has a mis-comprehension of how the system can work.

I'm not sure what the mis-comprehension is: it is a known fact that lots of people (like me, 99.8% of the time) have trouble getting their Yun's to appear in the IDE port menu. The ability to enter an IP number is a feature that is very reasonable, has been requested many times, and so far has gotten no traction. There are a series of known steps to improve detection reliability, but they don't always work. There are dozens of supposed tricks to get the board recognized, but in the long run they don't work, they were probably coincidences when they were first tried.

While more advanced than the typical plug and play mentality in the IDE, it would be very helpful to a lot of people. I consider myself a very adept embedded programmer, and reasonably competent at setting up networks and configuring computers, bit this has me styled. Except for a couple of occasions were I have been able to upload over the network direct from the IDE, I have always had to plug in a USB port to upload a sketch, or find the hex file and upload it manually through the web interface. Mine only show up rarely, and usually when I'm targeting a different board and I don't plan on accessing a Yun. >:(

Adding on to old threads, like this, is just like making noise.

I don't understand this new thread mentality. This is the only forum I frequent that insists that every question and discussion start a new thread: all of the others encourage finding an existing discussion to join. I understand that sometimes the person adding to the thread might not have exactly the same issue as the OP, but it usually close enough. So when people are looking for a solution, they need to wade through thousands of threads, and hope they can piece together enough information from a dozen different threads to get the full picture. I guess it's just a basic philosophical difference, and I will have to live with it. On another unrelated forum, as a global moderator, I and the others spent a lot of time not only moving threads to the right sub-forum, but also merging related threads together to help concentrate the collective knowledge. This doesn't appear to be a goal here.

Sorry for something that is somewhat off-topic, but this thread has already been declared useless noise, so probably nobody will notice...

Work around:

Setup Bonjour proxy service at IDE machine

Working for ether LAN or WAN!

sonnyyu:
Work around:

Setup Bonjour proxy service at IDE machine

Working for ether LAN or WAN!

I'll repeat the comment I made when you first posted this, with a little extra emphasis in red:

ShapeShifter:
The downside with this is that you either need to set up the Yun's with explicit static addresses, static DHCP rules, or you need to enter these commands any time the address changes. The whole point of Bonjour is zero configuration, and this is hardly zero effort. It's a work-around at best. The IDE needs a better way to find Yun's, the current method is far too fragile and asking people to jump through hoops is not reasonable.

ShapeShifter:
The IDE needs a better way to find Yun's, the current method is far too fragile and asking people to jump through hoops is not reasonable.

if IDE code is based C/C++, but it is based Java. Java is handicap for low level OS API (Bonjour).

B.T.W.

The latest version IDE seem fix the problem ( less fragile) ?