Request assistance for product required...sensor.

I would like to build an indication system which illuminates an LED when one piece of steel touches another piece of steel. Could anyone provide guidance on which product might work best? Thanks

If one piece of steel contacts another, and both have wires connected to them, they will close the circuit. No sensor needed.

As PaulS said, you have a switch. We really need more detail. Are we talking about a hundred tonne girder swinging from a crane or a screw falling onto a metal plate?

Weedpharma

Thanks, I know its a pretty simple concept but electronics is not my area. Project would be as described below.

A steel rectangle approximately 24" long by about 1" across (inside dimensions) with a steel rod of approximately 24" long swinging down the center of the 1" gap of the rectangle similar to a pendulum. The swinging motion would vary in distance the length of the 24" rectangle but attempt to remain in the center of the 1" opening. If the swinging rod were to get off center and tough the sides it would illuminate the LED. An easy way to think of it it like the old "operation" game which set off a buzzer.

The reason this would be slightly different than operation is that I do not have the ability to connect the pendulum to the object with wiring. It would be completely separate and unattached. Thanks for the reply.

jumpworks: The reason this would be slightly different than operation is that I do not have the ability to connect the pendulum to the object with wiring. It would be completely separate and unattached.

Well, what is holding it up? Surely you could connect to the hook, pivot or whatever is suspending the pendulum?

A person would be holding the pendulum (it is actually a golf putter) this system would be for practicing a stroke. Would it be possible to have the contact made between the putter and the frame cause a short and turn the bulb on?

You have described a simple switch. If a wire is attached to the club an another to the fixed metal, you simply connect it as you would any other switch. There is plenty of info on doing that if you search the forum.

Weedpharma

Thanks again, I have a pretty good grasp now.

jumpworks: Thanks again, I have a pretty good grasp now.

HAHA!! "grasp"..."golf swing"...lol

Sorry, couldnt resist. Glad you got it sorted.

if you are talking an alignment issue, then beam break might work.

2 lasers create a tunnel, if the shaft blocks either, the beam breaks and you have an event you can monitor.