Request for information and advice :)

Hi at all,

I want to start a new project and i'm a full novice in electronic. I come to you for advice and to ask you the feasibility of my project. This list was proposed to me by a friend who is in electronics study.

Here is my problem : i want to control a lot of pieces in my project like,

As you can see they are some 5v and 12v and i don't know if the power supply can have enough power to power up all at the same time.

Excuse my bad english,

Thank's you in advance.

Arthurjv:
As you can see they are some 5v and 12v and i don't know if the power supply can have enough power to power up all at the same time.

Excuse my bad english,

Thank's you in advance.

You will need an external power supply.

you mean one 12v and an other 5v ? there is no solution to make everything work with a single power supply ?

Best regards

The electrovalve is the only device on 12 V.

Then you can either find another one on 5 V or to provide for a separate power supply for this one alone.

You may also like to start by a limited set of components and see how they work.

You may need some wires and connectors as well.

A breadbord is also nice to have. I found mini-breadboards more handy than 400 or 800 points boards - in my case.

Breadboards can be equipped by power sources made specifically for them.

+++

40 LEDs may be matrix or strips or mounted one by one. I dont think you need special power source for them. Unless you plan to use high-power ones. These high power ones need some cooling and specific mounting - I have no experience with them.

Just an example, please do not take it as a recommendation, because I do not know how much current do you need on the 12V device. Neither I know the total power demand of your circuitry.

Those solenoids switch just fine with MOSFETs, no need for relays. I've done just that with both the 1/4" and 1/2" versions (and I still haven't found the rated current of those things, all I know is that it's more than the 0.25A my multimeter can do). Shouldn't be more than 1A or my USB 12V supply wouldn't be able to open these solenoids.

That motor will have to be run off 12V as well. If operated by 5V, after the losses in the L298N there's less than 3V left... (or get a MOSFET based motor driver, much more efficient).

The motor is rated at up to 3.8A at 9V I see in that link (appears to be the stall current), which is double the current L298N can deliver. So indeed you have to look for a better motor driver.

40 LEDs, at 10 mA each that's 400 mA.

So that makes for some 7-8A. Get a 12A supply or better. Add a 2A buck converter to step down the 12V to 5V for your Arduino, LEDs and sensors.

So, your "friend" handed you this list and said, "Go, son, and do these things."?

Was he/she unwilling to assist you in this? I mean, if the intent is for you to learn electronics, then this is akin to a swimming instructor throwing you into the deep end and yelling, "Now, Swim!!"

Yes, taking on a project is a good way to motivate yourself to acquire the requisite knowledge, but too large a project, especially with no one to guide you, can be more discouraging than helpful.

And, essentially, what you're asking, here, is that we teach you electronics, because, for each of those projects, you will need to have, at least, some basics under your belt.

I suggest you utilize one or more of the excellent free electronics tutorials available on the Internet, such as:

Or purchase one of those 200-in-one [or some such number] Electronics Kits from Radio Shack or American Scientist, etc. [that's what got me started]

BTW: I searched through YouTube looking for a "good" Electronics Education series, and found either boring or inaccurate/misleading. The Bill Nye video was the only one I found [doesn't mean they don't exist] that was both entertaining AND [probably--since I didn't watch the whole thing] accurate -- but, it only covers the absolute basics, so not even close to a full tutorial. And, I, personally, find Bill Nye a bit annoying because of his manic, trying-too-hard-to-be-cool, antics.

Then start with powering an LED [one LED]. And go from there.

Hello everyone,

First of all thank’s for your time and your advises.

This project is personal my friend just only advised me these components.

I’m take in consideration and I’m coming back to you respond.

I found this power supply much better i think

so my question is with this power supply what do I need to buy to power up all together ?

Wires, a 12 to 5V buck converter, current limiting resistors or constant current driver for the LEDs (depending on the actual type of LED), appropriate driver (relay or MOSFET) for the solenoids...that'd do. A breadboard to plug it all in may also be very useful, later you'll want to firmly solder it on a piece of protoboard or perfboard. That should give you a good start.

Are those LEDs supposed to be driven independently or as a string?

Arthurjv:
Hi at all,

I want to start a new project and i'm a full novice in electronic. I come to you for advice and to ask you the feasibility of my project. This list was proposed to me by a friend who is in electronics study.

Here is my problem : i want to control a lot of pieces in my project like,

Excuse my bad english,

Thank's you in advance.

So, you want us to follow every one of those links and take the time to look up the specifications on each, and then come up with a strategy for powering all those things with one 12V power supply? How about you meet us halfway, and compose a list of specifications, so we don't have to do all your work for you...hmmm?

Hello,

I understand your point of view, I simply ask if this is feasible, I would not be wrong when buying these components because having little cash

I'm asking for the reference power supply because wvmarle advise me to take a 12A power supply at least. But the reference i found is for led but. I think we do not care

wvmarle:
Are those LEDs supposed to be driven independently or as a string?

Yes i want to drive the 40 independently. what is the best solution?

• Strip (but not really what I'm looking for because they will be separated)
    -Homemade (don't know how do that for 40 LED's)

Thank's for your time and helpful responses :slight_smile:

Best regards

Arthurjv

Arthurjv:
Yes i want to drive the 40 independently. what is the best solution?

For normal LEDs: shift registers and current limiting resistors. You need five of those registers, one resistor per LED, and you can control them all with just 3-4 Arduino pins. Probably the easiest solution. Shift registers are so cheap that it doesn't make sense to me to use a matrix for just 40 LEDs.