Requesting advice on choice of arduino for specific project.All info appreciated

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing an arduino for a specific purpose. My goal is to program it to do the following:

1. I want it to be able to to respond to specific external audio stimuli
  2. I want to be able to program it to provide a specific audio response based on the specific external audio stimuli
  3. I want to program a database that will allow specific audio responses to occur based on specific perimeters. (i.e., if 1 and 2 are true, then use randomized audio output data gathered from database A, if 1 and 3 are true, then use randomized audio output data from database B, etc.)
  4. Adjustments of sound volumes, on/off switches, via buttons/dials/etc

So, that's pretty much it. After I create the database and program the arduino to respond correctly, I plan on creating a casing for it with a 3-d printer. It would be the basis for a prototype.

Later models would be battery operated, able to update the database via plugging into a usb port and updating through the internet.

If an arduino can do all of these for me now, including usb port updating, etc., then that would be great. Please let me know which one I should purchase and which add-ons I need for that.

If I can only get one that can perform the first 3 tasks (or 4), then please let me know which arduino I should purchase and which add-ons as well, too please.

I look forward to your feedback ASAP as I want to get started on this project immediately!

Thank you ahead of time for all your feedback.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The normal Arduino boards contain a microcontroller, that can turn on leds and relays, read switches, do some floating point calculation (in software) and so on. It is not an audio processor. Some newer Arduino boards have a ARM M0 or M3 processor that can do some DSP, but probably not as advanced as you need.

There are add-on boards (called 'shields') for Arduino board. Have a look at Adafruit.com, they have a few audio modules for the Arduino.

Is your project about speech recognition ? Perhaps you need a (mini) computer. Maybe the Raspberry Pi can do what you want.

The Teensy has some good audio processing capabilities but it will take some work to program that to do the unspecified-specific-audio-stimuli.

I'm guessing that a Rasberry would be less work to do this specifically-unspecified thing.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll check out both the rasberry and the add-ons from adafruit.com. Afterwards, if I have more questions, I will check back up with you guys.

After I make my final decision (on which to purchase), I will update you guys again one why I made my choice,etc.

I appreciate the input and I expect that I will be seeking your advice again once I begin the build.