Required Power supply that will drive 6 servos at the same time.

Hi,
I have a Leonardo board and I’m in the beginning stages of testing(noobe), attaching the servos,etc,
what power supply do I need, that will operate 6 of these servos at the same time. My project is going to be controlling the servos using a DAW/usbmidi

Kuman 17Kg 270 Degree Metal Gear Digital Servo:
● Newly designed digital servo with interior design and precision potentiometers.
● 100% 17kg torque, metal gear and double-axis servo motor.
● Pull and plug connections and servo wire.
● Dual-ball servo, means one is drive shaft and another is virtual axis (support function).
● 270 degree rotation, barely absent and dead zone.

Specification:
● Weight: 60g
● Size: 402040.5 mm
● Speed:0.16 sec/60°7.4V
● Locked-Rotor Torsion:15Kg.cm 6.6V; 17Kg.cm 7.4V
● Voltage: 6-7.4V
● Unload Current: 100mA
● Line Length: 30cm
Thanks, Matt

Pretty cool servo!

I googled it and found the manufacturers site but it did not list stall current for this servo. I would guess that it is similar to a standard RC servo and budges 1A per servo.

thanks for the quick reply! vinceherman

I think this is it, I could be all wrong though! ● Locked-Rotor Torsion:15Kg.cm 6.6V; 17Kg.cm 7.4V

You need to know the [u]stall current[/u], as the servo draws that every time it starts up.

If you can't find a value for it, assume 1 Ampere/servo, so if all servos are moving at once, you need a 6 Ampere power supply.

Would this be too much power?

also 5v or 12v?

I read on this forum that its needs to be 5 to 10 times over the unload current 100ma, so yeah an amp per servo should cover it.

or this one? https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Switching-100v-240v-Transformers-Interface/dp/B01G9UPICE/ref=pd_sbs_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G9UPICE&pd_rd_r=B6FF30FFDBSA16E28CC0&pd_rd_w=y3Xo5&pd_rd_wg=oEYO1&psc=1&refRID=B6FF30FFDBSA16E28CC0

Those servos are intended to work from 6V to 7.4V so 5V is a bit low and 12V is way too high. The second 6V power supply looks better.

Steve