Requirements documents or road maps?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it seems close.

Hi, I am a Master's student doing a study on requirements analysis, and the arduino board has been very useful to me in my undergraduate work so I decided to do my analysis on Arduino if the documentation is even remotely available. However, search as I might, the closest I can find to anything resembling the requirements for Arduino is a statement in a WIRED article about the fact that the driving motivation behind Arduino was the development of a useful and affordable microcontroller.

In my opinion, and probably in that of many here, that goal has definitely been met and far exceeded, but I would be interested to know if there was ever a defined list of goals that were supposed to be met with the Arduino board (even if it was for a later revision perhaps) although, it would almost seem from my ignorant outsider-looking-in viewpoint that the development process more followed that of the developers getting some critiques and suggestions, deciding which ones they decided would be best to implement or improve, and then releasing a new hardware version.

With that lengthy intro out of the way, I'd like to reiterate my point. I would like to know if there ever was a formal laying out of requirements or project goals, and if a document containing them exists, I'd like to know if I may look at it for the purpose of doing a report for class.

Thank you, I appreciate your time, and I hope I didn't put this in the wrong forum.

I think you pretty much figured it out. Its an ever evolving platform. If ever there was a mission statement for it its been met and surpassed and been evolving ever since. I think the website pretty much covers it all.

http://www.arduino.cc/

Having been there at the birth of Arduino, I can tell you a few things that motivated it. I wasn't responsible for it -- that was Massimo Banzi. He has written about this and there have been articles and interviews where he talked about it.

He wanted a low-cost platform for student prototyping of physical computing applications. (This was at the now-defunct Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, c. 2003-05.) Also important was a free and easy-to-use cross-platform development environment. The tools available at the time (PIC, Basic Stamp, as I recall) were a bit expensive for students. The IDEs were limited to the PC, and we had many Mac users. Massimo and his colleagues felt they could design an inexpensive and powerful open-source hardware/software platform.

And they did -- bravi loro!

There is a whole story here, but I don't know if there was ever a written requirements document. I would suggest you post something in one of the General forums and see if Massimo or David Mellis or David Cuartielles pick it up.

.andy (ex-IDII)

Thank you gentlemen (ladies?) for your responses. I am grateful for them, and if time allows, I would like to cross post this as recommended, permitting that it is not considered bad taste on this forum to cross post.

I wish I could write my paper on the development process of Arduino, but there are some constraints in place for the homework assignment. Since it does not have one, I will do my first assignment, due at the end of this week on another (far less interesting) project and then, if I cross post in a timely manner and receive appropriate feedback expediently, I would be allowed to do the follow on assignments using documentation for the Arduino project.

Again, in short, thanks guys.