research project

hi i am first year undergraduate student.My trade is Electronics and communication engineering(ECE), I want to do some research project in my university ,most probably using arduino. Can someone please give me some idea about some brainstorming projects which i can work on.My aim is to publish some research paper on it,so that it could give me an competitive edge in Graduate admissions to top schools in the world.(i am interested in artificial intelligence or intelligent robots kind of projects)

If you're interested in AI, the arduino shouldn't be used for the brain, most likely just a supporting device to gather inputs or control devices. You need a full computer for heavy computations in AI.

hi i am first year undergraduate student.My trade is Electronics and communication engineering(ECE),
I want to do some research project in my university ,most probably using arduino. Can someone please give me some idea about some brainstorming projects which i can work on.My aim is to publish some research paper on it,so that it could give me an competitive edge in Graduate admissions to top schools in the world.(i am interested in artificial intelligence or intelligent robots kind of projects)

I suggest you research the current developments in the small drone aircraft.

If you want to do research, find someone in the field to talk to (preferably a professor at your university). It's unlikely that anyone here is going to be able to give you anything more than extremely vague suggestions. People who aren't actively involved in the appropriate field of research won't know what the interesting unsolved problems are or what's feasible for someone with your experience. The hobby-type projects discussed on this site are very different.

+1 for the drone (especially drones that still function after one or two motors fail)

five ideas in no particular order:

1) Cross bootloading Arduino: (fun!) Some time ago we discussed here the possibility of 2 Arduino's programming each other from an SD card to have a virtual unlimited sketch. See - http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180848.msg1340661#msg1340661 - for a bit more info.

2) Small Brother: (maybe the best fitting your goal) Use a Arduino to monitor if a person sits in a good working position on a computer by means of several sensors to prevent fatigue and muscle stress etc. pressure sensors in the chair could determine the position. Smart code on the PC will interpret the signals and advise the person.

3) IEEE754 double (eternal glory in the arduino community) Write a IEEE754 64bit double library for Arduino. + performant + small footprint as possible + includes +-*/ sqrt exp pow + extra point for gonio : sin cos tan asin, acos, atan, atan2 + string to double parsing. + conversion to/from other int, long, float etc. + printing support

4) Wire library (not most exciting) rewrite the Wire library of the Arduino + interface compatible + smaller footprint (less buffers) + ...

5) Humidity measurement by investigating the speed of sound. (most academic) See - http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=163929.0 - and - http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Enviromental_Effects_on_the_Speed_of_Sound.pdf -