Reset options

Hi,

For a new project, we are going to use multiple arduino's. All arduino's work stand-alone, so no connections needed between them. The distance will be around 20m from all arduino's to a central place.

We are trying to find the best solution to reset all arduino's at once, so we don't want to go to each arduino to press on the reset button.

ideas:

• I already discovered the "RESET" pin, if you connect this with "GND", the arduino will be resetted.. I thought about creating a relay, connected to the RESET and GND pin. This relay will be powered by a cable, comming from the central place.

• a second idea was to use IR, so we can send an IR signal, which is gathered by each arduino, to reset the arduino using code (but IR.. we prefer cables above wireless)

• a thirth idea was to use an ethernet shield on each arduino, and connect all arduino's to one ethernet switch. I'm not sure about all features we can use regarding ethernet on arduino. Is this only for file sharing and status reports? Or can we also execute a reset of the arduino board, using the ethernet shield?

What do you guys think is one of the best solutions?

Why do you need to reset the Arduinos?

Which Arduino boards are you using?

haypro: can we also execute a reset of the arduino board, using the ethernet shield?

You can send a command via Ethernet to the Arduino that tells it to reset itself but if that's the only use you have for the Ethernet shield it's probably not the best solution due to cost and memory usage.

I'd prefer HW reset. Only the first solution is HW. All other are SW dependent and they can fail if something wrong with the program.

pert: Why do you need to reset the Arduinos?

well, the project we are working on, is an escape room. When the arduino's are powered, all games are in their start position, or waiting for signals from sensors to start. When a team has finished the game (where multiple arduino's are used on a few places) , the moderator wants to push one button to reset all arduino's, to set the entire game to the start position.

pert: Which Arduino boards are you using?

the uno, sometimes added by a dmx shield

haypro: When the arduino's are powered, all games are in their start position, or waiting for signals from sensors to start.

You can easily write your code so that a reset is not necessary to accomplish this. However, either way you need to send a signal to all the Arduinos.

The most simple solution is to power all the Arduinos from the same line and then just momentarily cut power to all of them to reset the programs.

pert: The most simple solution is to power all the Arduinos from the same line and then just momentarily cut power to all of them to reset the programs.

well, thank you for this, that will be the solution indeed :)