Resistance detection for lickometer

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to Arduino. I'm tasked by my boss to set up a previous behavioral assay without a protocol (last person didn't leave one). We used Arduino to detect resistance change (I think), then send a TTL as an output.

The set up looks like this. I assume when the mouse licks the bottle, it'd change the resistance.

The question is, how could I proceed with the code to detect the resistance change? I'm also confused as for whether I need to hook up a battery.

Please excuse my poor explanations. Please ask any questions!!!!! I really appreciate it.

Hello
Post a real schematic with all componets used.
And the datasheet of the lickometer sensor.

Thanks for your fast response. I edited the post with a picture. I couldn't add a second one since I'm a new user. Let me know if it helps!

A capacitive switch sensor might be what you need.

Where did the image of the orange mouse go ?

Rodents usually grab the water feeder with their paws.

I can only upload one since I'm a new user. Is that image more helpful? I can edit it again.

Rodents usually grab the water feeder with their paws.

Try reading some other threads - the forum software bases your status (to some extent) on how much you have read.

Presumably, the original code is lost?

New image uploaded!

I uploaded the new merged image. Yes the code is lost :frowning:

Schematic posted!

Looks like you might be want to do this:

https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor/

CapSense

Is the original code still functioning on that Arduino or do you have to start from scratch?

Thank you I'll take a look.

I have to start from scratch :frowning:

So what do you have there? Is that the original circuit and wiring? If so, a hand drawn diagram would help - the photos don't really tell the story.

That's as much as I have here. I'm attaching a diagram that makes sense in my head (what I think the last person was trying to do). ![IMG_5144.HEIC|375x500]

Then do I need to connect a battery to the setup?

See:

1 Like

To use resistance, you have to complete a circuit. The mouse can't be detected just because it's touching the bottle. It would have to be standing on a conductive surface. That is why capacitive sensors are being suggested to you.

I'm still unclear what the pictures are of. Is that what your departed colleague left you or is it your attempt at building this thing anew?

For a purely resistive measurement, the stainless steel spout should be insulated with something like surgical tubing to stop paw activity, the steel going to +5v via a resistor (try 100k to start).

There should be a conductive platform the rodent climbs on, going to Arduino GND.