Resistor Watt Values

Hello all,

I’m in the process of getting my first Arduino kit together. I’m pretty much starting from scratch in terms of electrical components.

I am wondering about the watt values when buying resistors. I bought some of my supplies from an online store (sparkfun) where they sell 1/6 watt resistors (which were out of stock at the time I ordered them). I’ve found a decent source for resistors locally but they only have 1/4 watt resistors.

My question is - Will this be a problem for beginning arduino projects? Can I use 1/4 watt resistors with the same ohm value without too much trouble?

Thanks for any help, it’s much appreciated!

yea there is no difference as far as the ohms go, what happens is when a resistor resist’s it converts electricity into heat, that rating is in wattage

the major difference if your not going to use the resistor in a high wattage application is the case size, 1/16th is tiny, 1/8th is 2x as large, 1/4 is 3x as large as that

course a 1/4 watt resistor is still pretty darn tiny, but after that they start getting pretty big (the largest in this image is 1 watt)

Never seen 1/6 watt resistors, 1/4 watt are pretty small. Yes you can use higher wattage resistors than a spec calls for. They make interesting smells if you overload them so be careful that they are big enough for the job. If you seriously overload them they can be very interesting…

Fantastic!

Thanks for the info. I can’t wait to get started!

So, just choose from these, if you wanna change between funny smell and funny appearance…
:slight_smile:

They aren’t resistors, they’re electrical heating elements… :wink:

yea, I have some 8 ohm dummy loads at work for when we have to piddle around with a new amp

they are about the size of pill bottles and have a half coke can sized heatsink on it, still gets hot! (if your trying)

yea, I have some 8 ohm dummy loads at work for when we have to piddle around with a new amp

they are about the size of pill bottles and have a half coke can sized heatsink on it, still gets hot! (if your trying)

Jeez! What is the wattage rating for them?

Im thinking 20 or 25, the print long ago vaporized, but could be 10

we drop 10 watt practice amps on them all the time and they dont get too bad

course if you get some ham radio nuts in on this I am sure they would be more than happy to show you their paint can sized, oil cooled dummy loads

like this 1kw model on wikipedia (75 ohms is typical)

Holy… :open_mouth:

I didn’t realize Heath ever made those Cantenna dummy loads in 75 ohms? The only ones I’ve seen are 50 ohm, but they have a different label than the one shown.

75 ohms huh? Learn something new every day.

73 de Ken H>