[resolved] Arduino + Lilypad = too much?

Hello,

I'm just starting out with electronics, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question :wink:
I'm trying to attach an Arduino Diecimila with a Lilypad to my Macbook, as described in this tutorial: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~buechley/LilyPad/software.html
With the Arduino alone everything's fine, I got the blink sketch working etc. But when I connect the Lilypad to the Arduino, my computer complains that the usb port is drawing too much power and the usb hub is being shut down.
Hmm... isn't that a bit weird? I mean, I can use an external harddisk without a separate power supply with this Macbook without a problem. Do the Arduino and the Lilypad together need more power than an external hard disk?

Anyway, I'm trying to find a solution. I do not own a power plug for the Arduino, but I do have a Lilypad power supply. Suppose I connect the Lilypad's + and - to the power supply instead of to the Arduino, would that be a solution? I'm asking first because I don't want to damage anything...

Thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

Could be a short (you've mistakenly connected +5 to GND or something along those lines).

If you are using a hub it could be the hub can't supply enough power, especially if the hub is bus powered (i.e., it doesn't have its own wall-wart power supply). If this is the case try connecting directly to the computer, or using a hub that has its own power supply.

-j

You're probably right about the short... I restarted the computer and tried one more time, and now everything's fine. Yay! :smiley:

I think the problem is that it's hard to securely attach the ground wire to the Arduino board, it keeps popping out! I'll have to pay attention to that. Thanks very much for your quick reply!

Try bending the wires a little bit. This way it is a bit harder to slip out of a header.