<RESOLVED> Bluetooth module > android communication?

Hi, I have a project where I have to communicate back AND forth between Arduino and Android device through Bluetooth.
Currently, I have a USB to UART converter connected to an HC-05. I can send a text stream to the serial monitor from an android app but the info that I type into monitor then sent out never gets received, or so it seems. If I print directly to the logcat in android studio from the Bluetooth input stream I sometimes get random garbage about every 30 tries.
Also, I can’t get the HC-05 to respond to AT commands, it sometimes says ERROR - 01 but not always. It isn’t the converter, I have tried 5 different ones.
EDIT: I was using Arduino Clones (with 328 chip removed) as USB to serial converter, turns out that was my issue, take a look on down to find the cause of the problem and solution.
Also tried a few different Bluetooth modules such as the HM-10 also no luck. Only Arduino < android works, not Arduino > android.
If this is just how these modules work then it would be nice to know. I have looked all over youtube and everyone sents data from android to Arduino, not the other way around.

edgar_wideman:
veryone sents data from android to Arduino, not the other way around.

This is utter nonsense. The "other way round" would be a lot more common, and a lot easier as well. I do see the word Arduino in there and remind you that this is an Arduino forum. This means you can leave the USB>UART convertor in the parts bin. You may then find the following background notes useful.

For further information on receiving:

Nick_Pyner:
This is utter nonsense.

Just my advice but, chill buddy... just chill this is a community forum. Can't we all just have a civil conversation on here, no need to get aggravated!

Nick_Pyner:
This means you can leave the USB>UART convertor in the parts bin.

A USB to UART converter is something the Arduino community continuously uses throughout the day! After finding the Arduino serial output data is not reaching the android device (through Bluetooth) I used the USB converter to directly type text from my computer screen to the serial in on the Bluetooth module. With no results, but if I write a basic app for android to write text to the Bluetooth output stream on android, it does appear on the serial monitor at the other end. Android > HC-05 > UART > USB converter > Serial monitor. But in reverse nothing shows up in my app.

Nick_Pyner:
The "other way round" would be a lot more common.

Not to what I found, not a single one. They are all controlling robots, relays or such with communications going from phone to HC-05 / Arduino.

After finding the Arduino serial output data is not reaching the android device (through Bluetooth)

Most everyone seems to be able to do this, so I would work on fixing whatever issue that you have before changing lanes.

I used the USB converter to directly type text from my computer screen to the serial in on the Bluetooth module

edgar_wideman:
Just my advice but, chill buddy...

I'm telling you what I'm telling you because utter nonsense is what that crazy assertion you made actually is. At least you read it, which may be of some benefit - eventually.

A USB to UART converter is something the Arduino community continuously uses throughout the day!

Continuously? Also utter nonsense, and those few that do, use one for a different purpose. This indeed an Arduino forum, and your particular problem lies in your mis-use of Arduino, so using

Android > HC-05 > UART > USB converter > Serial monitor

thereby specifically excluding Arduino, merely isolates the problem, and is not such a smart way of solving it.

Not to what I found, not a single one.

Clearly, you are incapable of using Google, or indeed this forum, but you might find these commonly Googled background notes useful.

I'm afraid they have gotten rather verbose, but you may find page one is really all you need...... You do not need any AT commands to do what you want to do, so there is no need to venture down that road at this stage. Just get the thing working properly.

edgar_wideman:
Hi, I have a project where I have to communicate back AND forth between Arduino and Android device through Bluetooth.
Currently, I have a USB to UART converter connected to an HC-05. I can send a text stream to the serial monitor from an android app but the info that I type into monitor then sent out never gets received, or so it seems. If I print directly to the logcat in android studio from the Bluetooth input stream I sometimes get random garbage about every 30 tries.
Also, I can’t get the HC-05 to respond to AT commands, it sometimes says ERROR - 01 but not always. It isn’t the converter, I have tried 5 different ones. Also tried a few different Bluetooth modules such as the HM-10 also no luck. Only Arduino < android works not Arduino > android.
If this is just how these modules work then it would be nice to know. I have looked all over youtube and everyone sents data from android to Arduino, not the other way around.

Have you just tried to turn an LED on and off using an android app and a HC-05 connected to your Arduino?

edgar_wideman:
Also, I can’t get the HC-05 to respond to AT commands, it sometimes says ERROR - 01 but not always. It isn’t the converter, I have tried 5 different ones. Also tried a few different Bluetooth modules such as the HM-10 also no luck. Only Arduino < android works not Arduino > android.

There are a couple different HC-05 modules.

I found Martyn Currey’s tutorial to be extremely useful when I was working with Bluetooth and the Arduino.
He has a website. I highly recommend his tutorials.

Thank you so much for your help, everyone… except Nick_Pyner. Could a forum moderator please look into Nick’s behaviour. (MOD EDIT)

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED HERE! I typed out a lengthy report and now all that was published was the first few sentences!

I don’t have time to retype all the details but I will try again see if it stays this time.
I was using Arduino clones (with chip removed) as USB to Serial converters to talk to the HC-05 Bluetooth module, Yes Nick I have to because I needed to change the baud rate and the Bluetooth name. Turns out the signal from the CH340 serial converter on the clones do not drive the data pules all the way to ground. I then bought an FTDI232 and it worked! Attached are pictures of the diffrence in the accual signal between the Arduino CH340 and FTDI232 signal.

Report closed with ZERO action.

At the risk of flogging this truly silly saga too hard, I would like to point out to any poor sod who, at some point in the future, staggered this far with it that:-

anybody who has sent anything from Android to Arduino via Bluetooth has no excuse for not being able to send data from Arduino to Android. It is commonplace and actually easier. It can be as simple as sending the same data to the serial monitor, indeed it can be done with the same code.

Serial.println(ladedah);

Thousands of users do this for sending data from sensors connected to Arduino. This is called data logging, and is something Arduinos do very well - hence the popularity. Indeed, sending data to the phone via Bluetooth may be the only thing those thousands of users, me included, do with their Arduinos.

Further, if you need to configure your Bluetooth, there is no need to fartarse about with USB>UART converters, or get into a sweat lifting chips. You can do it with any Arduino, even those without a liftable chip, and with Bluetooth remaining connected to the serial port you normally use. That is the normal method in the Arduino community.

So don't feel discouraged. .....

Again my problem was using the clone Arduino that whos serial signal was like +2 volts on the serial LOW signal. The HC-05 obviously doesn't sense that as a LOW, but talking to another Arduino worked. Yes, this is a problem that you guys could have hardly helped with as it was a hardware issue. But to those who tried, Thank you!

I came on here with a real problem some people were civil and truly helpful! except for this Nick_Pyner guy! Why do you have to use aggressive and agitating words, seems you're out here just to Ps people off? What would have otherwise been a great experience turns into a belittling s*show. There are great people on these forums but there should be more strict rules on saying who is dumb!

edgar_wideman:
I came on here with a real problem some people were civil and truly helpful! except for this Nick_Pyner guy! Why do you have to use aggressive and agitating words, seems you're out here just to Ps people off? What would have otherwise been a great experience turns into a belittling s*show. There are great people on these forums but there should be more strict rules on saying who is dumb!

Welcome aboard, this is exactly what my own impression was as I arrived here (and while I was reading through all the topics on this board) :smiley:

Unlike other coder forums, the socal habits here are... well, quite rude. I am coding since 20 years or so (although not for Arduino) and also helped lots of people in other forums but nowhere else have I ever experienced such a rough handling as here.