RESOLVED: How to use this driver stepper module? for DRV 8825

Hello .

I have bought this

There is the pins: Dir, Step, En. They are on black row with the letter S. I plugged those 3 pins with the Arduino, I give 5 volt to enable the driver. And the red light works. But there is no electricity going out from the module.

There are a red and yellow rows of three pins too with the letter V and G. What is the use of those two row? What does the letters S, V, G, mean? I think G means ground.

Thank you

stepper driver modul.pdf (1.74 MB)

Use your multimeter to test whether all the red pins (marked V) are connected together and all the black pins (marked G) are connected together. If they are then my guess (and it's only a guess) is that the red pins for for 5v and black pins are for GND. The 5v would go to the Arduino 5v pin and GND to the Arduino GND

Some driver boards work without needing a connection to the ENable pin. Others need it connected to GND to get the driver to work (assuming you are using an A4988 driver).

I know this is a silly question but I presume you do have a driver plugged into the board and that it is the right way round?

Be VERY CAREFUL never to connect or disconnect the wires between the motor and the stepper driver while the driver is powered up. The driver will be instantly destroyed.

If this does not solve the problem please make a pencil drawing showing how you have everything connected and post a photo of the drawing.

ALSO, tell us what motor power supply you are using (volts and amps)
AND post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

In case you haven't realized you need to plug in a DRV8825 or A4988 stepper module into this, and it
breaks out the connections to screw terminals for power and motor and headers for Arduino, as well as
providing switch-selection for the microstepping options. AFAICT you need to provide the actual driver
module. Buy several, they are cheap and easy to damage if you forget the rule about not hot-plugging
them (or get the current set wrong).

Robin2:
Some driver boards work without needing a connection to the ENable pin. Others need it connected to GND to get the driver to work (assuming you are using an A4988 driver).

I have tested my driver DRV 8825 directly on the breadboard and it works with my stepper motor NEMA 17HS4401.
To enable the driver to work well, I need to plug 5 Volt SLP and RESET and plug the ground of the Arduino to the ground of the driver.

I have tested the module just by plugging the power supply at 12 Volt. The row V (the red one) and the row S (the black one) by plugging the + of the voltmeter on each pin. And the - on the ground (the yellow one).

I can see on each pin of the rowV : 1.22 Volt
I can see on the pin STEP and EN of the row S : 1.34 Volt and on the pin DIR 0.34 Volt.

I have this result wahtever the set of the power of the driver 0.22 or the 0.5 Volt for example.

On the picture of the module you can see Vin, it is where is plug the pin UM0. And it corresponds with the pin at the bottom left of the driver and the module called DIR. Just to say the driver is well plugged on the module.

Then, I have tested the module by plugging the ground of the Arduino at the ground (yellow) of the module and the 5 volt of the Arduino to the red pin of the module ( Both, ground and 5 volt) are plugged at the top and right of the rows, which are at the top and right of the picture).

I have 4.54 Volt on the black pin EN and 0 Volt on the other black pins (DIR and STEP). I have 5.05 Volt on red pins.
These results are the same whatever the power I set to the driver.

So now, would it be possible to know how to plug the pin of the module to the Arduino? Or have I to make others tests?

Thanks, Mister.

bvking:
I have tested the module as you sayed, the row V (the red one) and the row S (the black one) by plugging the + of the voltmeter on each pin. And the - on the ground (the yellow one).

That does not sound like the correct test.

bvking-stepBoard.png

You need to use the OHMS setting on the multimeter and you need to put one test probe on the end red pin and the other probe on the other red pins one at a time. If the pins are connected you should get a 0 (or very near 0) reading for the resistance.

Do the same with the black pins - i.e. check the resistance from one black pin to another.

The yellow pins have no part to play in these tests.

Let us know what you find out.

...R

bvking-stepBoard.png

For the red pins tested one by one, I have 0.06 ohm.

For the black pin. DIR with EN I have 61.3 kilo ohm.
DIR and STEP, I have 127 kilo ohm
DIR and EN, I have 61.3 kilo ohm

bvking:
For the black pin. DIR with EN I have 61.3 kilo ohm.
DIR and STEP, I have 127 kilo ohm
DIR and EN, I have 61.3 kilo ohm

That is not what I was expecting so I don't know how to advise you.

Hopefully someone else will know more.

...R

Hello Robin,
I tested Black pins again.

There is different results wether I plug the red and black wire of the ohmmeter on a pair of pins.

with the red wire of the ohmmeter plug on the EN. I read for
EN- STEP : 61.7 kilo ohms
EN- DIR : 61.7 kilo ohms

If I switch (the black wire of the ohmmeter plug on the EN). I read for
EN- STEP: 126 kilo ohms
EN- DIR: 126 kilo ohms

Is it normal to have these different results?

bvking:
with the red wire of the ohmmeter plug on the EN. I read for
EN- STEP : 61.7 kilo ohms
EN- DIR : 61.7 kilo ohms

I presume that means that you put the red test probe on the left black pin and the other probe on the middle or right black pin?

I want to be sure when you say "plug on the EN" that you don't mean the left yellow pin.

The variations are certainly possible depending on what the pins are connected to on the circuit board

...R

For blacks pin, following the picture you put at the tchat #4, I have tested one by one only the black pin by plugging the red wire of the ohmmeter on EN (the left black pin) and the black wire of the ohmmeter on STEP and DIR I read, 61.7 and 61.7 kilo ohm.

bvking:
For blacks pin, following the picture you put at the tchat #4, I have tested one by one only the black pin by plugging the red wire of the ohmmeter on EN (the left black pin) and the black wire of the ohmmeter on STEP and DIR I read, 61.7 and 61.7 kilo ohm.

I'm sure your measurements are correct but I don't know why they are as they are or how the black pins are intended to be used.

By the way I believe the labels EN, STEP and DIR only apply to the yellow pins. That's why I suggested using left, right and middle to describe the black and red pins.

...R

It works!

I had to plug the ground of Arduino in the black EN of the module and 5Volt of the Arduino on in red EN of the module.

BUT there is a problem to set the rated current of the driver (even with the breadboard), if I follow the data sheet of the NEMA 17 17HS4401

https://www.datasheet4u.com/datasheet-parts/17HS4401-datasheet.php?id=928661

I should set the current at 1.5 A. In this driver, that's mean set the potar at 0.75 V, because Iref= Vin/2. It is like that.

But at low speed motor rumble. If I set the potar at 0.16 V, it doesn't rumble, that's mean the good current is at 0.32 A, not 1.5 A.

Do that mean I have a fake stepper motor ?

bvking:
But at low speed motor rumble.

That is probably normal because the motor jumps from step to step. Microstepping will be smoother.

...R