(RESOLVED) WiFi Extender Netgear XE103 220V to 3.3V ?

Hello,

I have a PC without wifi and i wanted to use a WiFi Extender Netgear XE103 with RJ45 input (ethernet cables).
My goal is to use it directly with 3.3V i removed all the components likely to work with the 220V
(I think) and after testing, the RTL8201CP Wifi module worked as if it was powered with 220V.

During the test the two Intellon T0719A and T0721A chips have slightly heated, i think the 3.7V battery is not a solution for the test.




My question,

  1. Do you advise me to remove other components in order to use it in a final edit so as not to have any surprises in the future?
  2. Am i good?
  3. Is it a mistake ?

All your advice and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you in advance.

duplicate post deleted.

Hi, Sorry Robtillaart thanks you.

You removed all the electrolytic capacitors. Good job :o

// Per.

what kind of arduino is that?

Did you measure the existing voltage rails before tearing out the PSU circuitry? Its not a given that the device only needs 3.3V if its a WiFi transceiver. The RF section may use higher voltages.

MarkT:
Did you measure the existing voltage rails before tearing out the PSU circuitry? Its not a given that the device only needs 3.3V if its a WiFi transceiver. The RF section may use higher voltages.

It's a modern WiFi-circuit, it will need no more than a single rail, excluding maybe a 1.8V for core, but that's handled by a small local regulator.

Higher voltage than 3.3V? No.

I don't understand why OP ripped out the power supply - connecting 3.3V to the output would be adequate - and keeping all the caps would be a good idea too. Not i't just garbage.

// Per.

Netgear XE103 isn’t a WiFi extender. It’s a powerline adapter. Ripping out the mains renders them useless.

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay, excuse me.

Qdeathstar: The module is an original CPL module.

MarkT: Unfortunately, being an amateur i did not measure anything just followed the line to remove the big power on my way :slight_smile:

Zapro: Thanks for your advice, i should have written before starting

msssltd: i did not tear off the whole circuit, only those that seemed to be for 220V

Finally it works without major problem and i did the same for a Lea Netsocket 200+ :slight_smile: removed the 220V to work with 3.3V. to have the 3.3V i use a mini module AMS1117 (5V "USB" to 3.3V) here are the final results...


Lea Netsocket 200+

Karma for the whole team, thanks again.

The three capacitors on the right side is part of the 3.3V circuit. They should NOT be removed if you want painless stable operation.

// Per.

There was probably no need to remove anything, just apply DC power on the DC rail.

Thank you very much for all your advice,

I will follow your instructions, Karma for your sympathy and respect for your help.