Respiration Rate using accelerometer

Hi, I'm doing a project in which I have to measure the respiration rate of a person. Actually, I'm trying with an accelerometer, but couldn't find any usefull information/algorithm to obtain a frequency from the readings that is able to distinguish body movements from torax movements (the accelerometer is in the torax of the person).
Do you have any information/ideas on how can I make it work?
Do you think is there an easiest way to obtain it?
Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that the respiratory motion is rather minor, and if the person is even moving a little, you are not likely to be getting reliable information from this technique.

Respiration rate with accelerometer ? O_o

If a person breath faster the heart beat goes high, the faster you breath the faster the heard beat is,
one way to measure the hear beat is with a IR sensor, on your part of the body and measuring the beats.

If you really want to use respiration hate, how fast or how long you breath or how much air you get/fill in your body, with accelerometer I'm not sure you can do that, get a wind turbine and put it on your nose :smiley:

Another way I'm thinking is to make a small device which gonna hear and measure the time you breath in and out, putting that device on your chest.

I'm not sure what exactly do you need so if you give me more details I may give more ideas and
components you could use.

D.60

The conventional approach is to use what is in effect a spring round the chest and measure the expansion of the spring.

jrdoner:
Keep in mind that the respiratory motion is rather minor, and if the person is even moving a little, you are not likely to be getting reliable information from this technique.

Domino60:
Respiration rate with accelerometer ? O_o

If a person breath faster the heart beat goes high, the faster you breath the faster the heard beat is,
one way to measure the hear beat is with a IR sensor, on your part of the body and measuring the beats.

If you really want to use respiration hate, how fast or how long you breath or how much air you get/fill in your body, with accelerometer I'm not sure you can do that, get a wind turbine and put it on your nose :smiley:

Another way I'm thinking is to make a small device which gonna hear and measure the time you breath in and out, putting that device on your chest.

I'm not sure what exactly do you need so if you give me more details I may give more ideas and
components you could use.

D.60

There's a reserch paper about doing it with an accelerometer called: "Estimation of Respiration Rate from Three-Dimensional Acceleration Data Based on Body Sensor Network" in which they claim the measures are correct. But that's all I could found.
The heart beat will be compaired with the respiration rate to obtain medical data (that exceeds me), so I have to obtain the real respiration rate.

Grumpy_Mike:
The conventional approach is to use what is in effect a spring round the chest and measure the expansion of the spring.

That sound interesting, can you tell me more about it? Is there any particular sensor/device you can recommend?

That sound interesting, can you tell me more about it?

Grumpy_Mike:
Respiratory inductance plethysmography - Wikipedia

Thanks!

I have done that in the past weeks I found it kind tricky. You will have to have at least two accelerometer one on the chest or wherever to measure the aspiration rate and second one is placed somewhere one the body and stable. The second one has to be at the same level as the first one. So you could see they act and display same numbers. Why? so if there is any movement of both of them will change and the one measuring respiration will get change a bit not too much but a tiny that you might notice if you breath.

Recommendations: use high resolution accelerometer, i really do not know if it exists, that shows 4 digits (like 0.000) because the respiration does not change too much and accelerometer shows 0.1 only when breathing occurs (breath in and out).

Let me know if goes for you and please update me if you find some a better way using accelerometer.