Return to home car without gps

Hey

So i was wondering if i could use a small tank based on arduino uno to return to home without using gps. It would need to find it's way home after driving for a short period inside an area with a radius of 2-5m (roughly). It wouldn't need to be super accurate the main thing is that it just gets roughly back to where it was.

Since the motors i'm using do have hall effect sensors i was thinking maybe i could "remember" how the motors span (spin/span/spun ? :D) and then i could try and reverse it which would (roughly) get me back to where i was.

Now the question is that would this be feasible or are those motors just too inaccurate? Also, since i'm using plastic tracks i think that "wheel spin" would be a problem aswell.

Just try and see how close You get.

tostuk:
Also, since I'm using plastic tracks i think that "wheel spin" would be a problem as well.

You got that right! :astonished:

Could you use an IR beacon at the fixed location you want the tank to return to? A couple of IR receivers on the tank would allow you to detect the amount of IR received by each sensor and help steer the tank towards the source.