Reusing parts?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering, i have recently pulled apart an old laptop and i have gotten a bluetooth card out of it and i was wondering how it could be used with an arduino or if it is even possible? I also have a WLAN card that i would like to use. Could someone please tell me if this is at all possible?

Thanks in advance :)

p.s: I hope this was the right topic section to put this in as i wasn't very sure!!

Scroll to the section on Bluetooth in the playground, something there might help.

You should also see if that card or any of its chips has any identification on it and Google for details; maybe you’ll find a datasheet.

Bluetooth modules from Ebay / dx.com are around $7 and work right out of the box. If you are new to BT, I'd suggest going with one of those to get up to speed first.

Thanks jimbo, ill have a look!!

Also i was just wondering is the way the devices communicate an issue?

Bluetooth module from a Laptop communicates with the mainboard via USB, so to use this with Arduino, you'd have to use a USB host-shield, and it would be very laborious to make it work.

WiFi-modules either use USB (the cheap ones) or PCI-Express (x1) - You cannot connnect the latter to an Arduino, and the first one requires a USB host shield, and then you need to figure out how to hack drivers etc. to make it work. Not worth it.

// Per.

If you're lucky enough to find a schematic of that bluetooth module, you may find a uart connection if so you could connect directly, all depends on what you got.

cjdelphi: If you're lucky enough to find a schematic of that bluetooth module, you may find a uart connection if so you could connect directly, all depends on what you got.

Uart could be found, but the modules you find in computers have a firmware which does not support the use of it. The general use Bluetooth modules on eBay etc. have a special firmware, that exposes the Uart interface, has AT-commands for config etc.

I've messed around quite a lot with BT, so i know from experience, that trying to re-use BT-modules is a great waste of time.

// Per.

A waste of time, except that you learnt something... (that its a waste of time!)

Ha ha...

I miss the days back when boards didn't require firmware uploads on init, and anything that could generate an 8MHz clock could talk to them. Not to mention being able to find a working open-source driver a few days/weeks/months after the hardware was released. Huge proprietary binary blobs, licensed physical interfaces, etc... blech... who needs it.

Thanks for the help guys!! What about reusing the WLAN module?

You probably won't have much luck with the WLAN module either. About the only things you can really reuse from a laptop easily would be the battery and any individual components (connectors, mainly) -- the complete modules would be difficult or impossible