REVERSE KNIGHT RIDER STYLE EFFECT- HOW TO SLOW DOWN

I'm designing a circuit for slowly activating multiple LED's. And figured using the arduino knight rider effect was the closet to what i'm trying to achieve. my problem is i am trying to create the following effects:

1. i want to light up 16 LED's sequentially. one after the other without the previous one going out. kind of like an increasing effect.
  2. if im able to create such effect with the arduino, i also need to slow it down to the point one LED lights up approximately every 30 secs.
    HOW?

If you just want the LEDs to switch from fully off to fully on, what you're describing can be achieved very easily with a UNO using a separate output pin per LED.

If you want the LEDs to fade up smoothly it gets a bit harder because a UNO only has six analog outputs and I don't know of any that have sixteen, so you can't do the fading in hardware - you'd have to do it in software, which would require a little more code but still seems completely feasible.

You probably want to look at the Bar Graph tutorial (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BarGraph) as well as Knight Rider (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/KnightRider). Rather than doing 12, start with 2-3 and then you can go up.

If you are using the USB serial port for debugging (which uses pins 0 & 1), or using other pins, remember that you can use the 6 analog ports for digital output as well, using the names A0..A5 for the pins.

At this stage, I would not worry about changing the brightness of each level that PeterH mentioned using PWM or other techniques. Sure it can be done, but you want to walk first before running.

I suspect you are at the stage where you haven't really groked (understood) programming. It can be frustrating, until one day you 'get it'. Unfortunately since I have been a professional programmer for 34 years, and programming for over 40 years, I don't remember how to get past that stage. Do you know somebody nearby that programs? The idea isn't to get them to write your program, but to get you to the point where you can write it.

You might want to reduce the time limit to a few seconds, 30 seconds can be a long time.

This will solve your issues, if and only if I understand them(issues correctly), by looking at:

it's a Shift Register (8-Bit - 74HC595) ...you can "shift in" your data (which leds you want on or off)...you control them as how you like

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU EFFORT. I GOT THIS FIGURED OUT EASILY. AND LIKE PETERH SAID. IT WAS EASILY DONE WITH THE UNO. THANK YOU GUYS ONCE AGAIN!