Reversing Brushless rotation with ESC

Hi everyone,
I’m in trouble with a project that consists in the realization of a monoaxial gimbal using a brushless motor. I have an MPU9255 which is fixed to the rotor of the brushless, I have of course the Arduino UNO board and an ESC (see photo attached) in order to control the brushless.
Is there a way to tell to the ESC to reverse the sense of rotation? Something like 0 for one and 1 for the other one?
Or do I have to buy other components like, I don’t know, switches or stuff like that in order to inverse two phases externally to the ESC?

Thank you.

You will need an esc that is designed for forward and reverse such as for a car or boat, rather than the aircraft type you presently have.

R/c signal will then be , at neutral 1.5mSec , full forward 2.0mSec and full reverse 1.0mSec.

Pwm signal from Arduino is somewhere in the range of 70 to 220 from full reverse to full forward with neutral somewhere in between.
If you look up the details on servo control the levels will possibly be more accurate.

bluejets:
R/c signal will then be , at neutral 1.5mSec , full forward 2.0mSec and full reverse 1.0mSec.

That sounds much more like a servo type control signal than a PWM signal

RC ESCs are driven by servo type control signals, always have been.

But as already said an aircraft ESC cannot be directly reversed. Many car and boat ESCs can.

The only alternative is using relays to switch two wires over but that's a real pain and can damage/destroy the ESC if you do it while it's still powering the motor.

Steve

wvmarle:
That sounds much more like a servo type control signal than a PWM signal

Yes, and there is always confusion over what is what.
Best not to go there.