RF & BLE Solution

Hello,

I am designing various controls and would like to add wireless functionality to my controls, along with BLE or something similar.

I have been trying to work with the Nordic nRF51-DK with no avail as there seems to be no existing support/libraries for Arduino and I don't feel knowledgeable enough about the ARM environments to do all of the things I need to do (and know how to with ease on the Arduino).

I noticed that some people have used either the RFDuino or nRF24L01+ (which I have some experience communicating with thanks to the Gammon libraries) for the wireless side of things. I'd love to find an all inclusive solution (BLE + RF) that is easily Arduino compatible and cost effective if at all possible, and I've heard mixed reviews about the RFDuinos.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should move forward?

Thanks!

Jengil

Nrf24 and bluetooth have similar range and cost. The essential difference between them is that bluetooth is better for talking to the outside world, and NRF better for Arduinos to talk amongst themselves - particularly if there are several. The only all-inclusive solution, BT + NRF, is to make one yourself. This is a reasonable thing to do, not hard, and the way for an Arduino network to talk to the outside world.

Thanks Nick,

By making one myself, do you suggest writing libraries for something that's all inclusive on the hardware end (nRF51 etc) or just combining the nRF24 and BLE chip (such as nRF8001)?

jengil: By making one myself, do you suggest writing libraries for something that's all inclusive on the hardware end

No, and I'm not actually aware of a bluetooth device that requires a library anyway. I was only talking about comining the devices on a common proto shield and even that is not strictly necessary, just convenient. I think a combined library for two disparate devices would take a hell of a lot of effort just to save one line of code.