RF communication with two arduino for 1-2km range

Hi, I want to make a quadcopter and a controller with arduino. I will fly the drone in line of sight.

I need a RF module for quad and controller. I should able to communicate at least in 1 km range but I will be happy if I can fly it 2-3 km away :slight_smile:
I will send ~3kb data per second.

This NRF24L01 has 1.1km range but is it really has? Can I use it for my project? And can I increase range if I use another antenna?
NRF24L01

Or should I use something else? Maybe lower frequency?
Price is important for me :frowning: That's why I want to use NRF24L01

Thanks for help and sorry for my english.

Zireael61:
Hi, I want to make a quadcopter and a controller with arduino. I will fly the drone in line of sight.

I need a RF module for quad and controller. I should able to communicate at least in 1 km range but I will be happy if I can fly it 2-3 km away :slight_smile:

If your going to fly the quadcopter within sight, then dont you only need a range of circa 500m ?

So where does the 3km requirement come from ?

srnet:
If your going to fly the quadcopter within sight, then dont you only need a range of circa 500m ?

So where does the 3km requirement come from ?

My bad, I mean open air without any obstacle.
In summer I will go somewhere like plateau (I don't know plateau is right word but same enough), because of altitude (~2700 meters) there will be no tree or high building. Just flat place and open air :smiley:

Ofcourse I will use fpv goggles and camera. But I will research this after.

that is a Marconi antenna, also known as a 1/4 wave. gain: 2.14 dbi ( if you want to know what dbi is you have much studying to do ). it is the simplest possible antenna, with the least range.

for a drone, you need omnidirectional antennas. this is one example of an omnidirectional antenna. another kind of omni antenna is a collinear. collinears come in up to 15 dbd ( 15 db better than the dipole above ) gain. gain on either end benefits both ends.

if you make no other changes, get a 15 dbd gain collinear for the stationary end. it won't make anything worse, and won't cost much. get one or two with SMA connectors. You can use an antenna with an RP-SMA connector, if you use an adapter.

anybody who claims more than 15 dbd gain for a collinear knows laws of physics he is not sharing.

First of all thanks so much for you write in detail.

Yes, I must study too much.
I am 18 years old. So I can say I don’t know anything about antennas :slight_smile: But I will try to learn about what you write.
I didn’t think there is so much thing need to know. I jumped into ocean without know how to swim or how big it is :smiley: