RF controlled linear actuator to lock a door

Hi there,

This is going to be my first project. I got the idea to be lazy and hook an actuator to an arduino to basically push my lock closed so I dont have to lock the door myself. I would also like to have it controled with an RF fob.

So basically. I leave and close the door. Push the button. The actuator goes out closes the lock, then return to the home position. In a perfect world I will have it battery powered instead of wall powered.

Ive done some research and have most parts specced out. But I want to make sure I got everything right before ordering/building.

Im thinking an Arduino Uno as the microcontroller.

Does the Arduino Uno need a motor shield of some sort?
Looking at this kit if it does:

This fob and reciever:

An actuator I havent found yet. But I assume it will be just power and ground? My understanding is that it is basically a servo that turns circular motion into linear.

Then a 9v battery clip with a barrel connector.

The goal is to leave this all tapped to my door in some sense.

I havent figured out the code yet but it should be too hard. Im not new to programming…

Does this look good or did I miss something critical? Will it all fit on just the Uno or do I need something bigger.

Thanks!

The hard part of this project will be the linear actuator, actuator driver and the door lock. So pick those first and get the lock working.

A 9V PP3 block battery won't last for more than a few tens of minutes powering just an Arduino Uno, and may not work at all to power an actuator.

You need to choose the actuator before you can know what driver that you need.

A rectangular 9V smoke alarm will not supply much current. You need to calculate the current required by the circuit and choose a battery that will power the circuit for as long as you need between charges.

Ok. Makes sense. Ill do some research on an actuator.

research “electric door strike” at ebay. it unlatches the latch, rather than move the bolt

see also “electronic door lock”

there are many clever people working on this problem

Great suggestion! There was one on the basement door of a house we owned in Portland. House was built in 1948 and the latch was salvaged from a structure built in the 1930's. So they have been around for many generations and work flawlessly.

In addition, they have the advantage of allowing the door to be opened with a key in the knob. That also makes it possible for emergency services to open the door to rescue you body!

Our door used a hidden pushbutton to unlock the door.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Our door used a hidden pushbutton to unlock the door.

It sounds like it should have had a few secret panels/ passages and rooms also! :roll_eyes:

It sounds like it should have had a few secret panels/ passages and rooms also!

...and pictures with eyes that can be moved aside and used as eyeholes.

SkyLeopard:
I got the idea to be lazy and hook an actuator to an arduino to basically push my lock closed so I dont have to lock the door myself.

Make sure you have some method to open the lock WHEN the electronics or program fails.

...R