rf Transmission Problems

I am trying to remotely connect two arduinos using these transmitters, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321241418819 So far i have been unable to achieve any kind of transmission between them. I've tried using the code from lets make robots http://letsmakerobots.com/node/12336?page=1 and from this instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/RF-315433-MHz-Transmitter-receiver-Module-and-Ardu/ and I've been unable to get either to work. I am using an arduino pro mini with atmega328 and a freeduino with an atmega168. I've tried receiving and transmitting through both and haven't got either to work, they seem to be working properly and they both can send serial data back to my computer fine. I've attached a picture of my circuit. I've tried switching which arduino is transmitting and receiving, I've tried using different pins on the arduino, I've tried using the code from instructables but changing it from sending and receiving data on pins 12 and 11 respectively to using the rx and tx pins and this hasn't helped. If anyone has any ideas as to what i am doing wrong they would be greatly appreciated, i'm going to use these transmitters as part of a larger project so its very frustrating being stuck at this point.

Those only do one way communication. The smaller one is the transmitter and even though the bigger one has two data pins, only one is needed.

Also make sure the receiver is getting 5 volts and not 3.3.

To eliminate one or both of the transmitter or receiver as being a problem, try connecting the two Arduinos with a wire, also connecting the grounds of the two Arduinos together. The wire replaces the data input on the transmitter and the data output of the receiver. You should then see data being transferred (hence the name for the VirtualWire library).

Tried connecting the data lines together and still got nothing on the serial output

If you could post both sketches you are using in their entirety
in code tags it would help…

//Receiver code
#include <VirtualWire.h>  // you must download and install the VirtualWire.h to your hardware/libraries folder
#undef int
#undef abs
#undef double
#undef float
#undef round
void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(9600);    

// Initialise the IO and ISR
    vw_set_ptt_inverted(true);    // Required for RX Link Module
    vw_setup(2000);                   // Bits per sec
    vw_set_rx_pin(1);           // We will be receiving on pin 23 (Mega) ie the RX pin from the module connects to this pin. 
    vw_rx_start();                      // Start the receiver 
}

void loop()
{
    uint8_t buf[VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
    uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;

if (vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // check to see if anything has been received
    {
    int i;
     // Message with a good checksum received.

for (i = 0; i < buflen; i++)
    {
        Serial.print(buf[i]);  // the received data is stored in buffer
        }
    Serial.println("");
     }
}
//Transmitter code
#include <VirtualWire.h>  // you must download and install the VirtualWire.h to your hardware/libraries folder
#undef int
#undef abs
#undef double
#undef float
#undef round
void setup()
{
     // Initialise the IO and ISR
    vw_set_ptt_inverted(true); // Required for RF Link module
    vw_setup(2000);                 // Bits per sec
    vw_set_tx_pin(1);                // pin 3 is used as the transmit data out into the TX Link module, change this to suit your needs. 
}

void loop()
{
    const char *msg = "LMR-II Rocks";       // this is your message to send

vw_send((uint8_t *)msg, strlen(msg));
   vw_wait_tx();                                          // Wait for message to finish
   delay(200);
}

this is the code I used when i connected the data wires together

You shouldn't be using pins 1 or 0, if your using the serial monitor. Use another pin like pin 2

Ive tried connecting the data lines with the code from the instructable (posted below) and that worked fine but still isn’t working without the data line, Is there any way to individually test either the receiver or the transmitter to see if ones faulty? cant see what else it could be at this point. Thanks for the help so far and sorry for taking so long to reply to the last post.

//simple Tx on pin D12
//Written By : Mohannad Rawashdeh
// 3:00pm , 13/6/2013
//http://www.genotronex.com/
//..................................
#include <VirtualWire.h>
void setup()
{
    vw_set_ptt_inverted(true); // Required for DR3100
    vw_set_rx_pin(12);
    vw_setup(4000);  // Bits per sec
    pinMode(13, OUTPUT);

vw_rx_start();       // Start the receiver PLL running
}
    void loop()
{
    uint8_t buf[VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
    uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;

if (vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // Non-blocking
    {
      if(buf[0]=='1'){

digitalWrite(13,1);
      }  
   if(buf[0]=='0'){
  digitalWrite(13,0);
    }

}
}
//simple Tx on pin D12
//Written By : Mohannad Rawashdeh
// 3:00pm , 13/6/2013
//http://www.genotronex.com/
//..................................
#include <VirtualWire.h>
char *controller;
void setup() {
  pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
vw_set_ptt_inverted(true); //
vw_set_tx_pin(12);
vw_setup(4000);// speed of data transfer Kbps
}

void loop(){
controller="1"  ;
vw_send((uint8_t *)controller, strlen(controller));
vw_wait_tx(); // Wait until the whole message is gone
digitalWrite(13,1);
delay(2000);
controller="0"  ;
vw_send((uint8_t *)controller, strlen(controller));
vw_wait_tx(); // Wait until the whole message is gone
digitalWrite(13,0);
delay(2000);
}

Get it working with the DEFAULT code before making changes like you have.

The transmitter/receiver combo may not not work at 4000 bits/second, as you have specified.

Hello!

I’m trying to use VirtualWire with the Arduino Ethernet and the PN532 RFID/NFC Shield but when I do method GET to my server I don’t receive nothing! and when I comment the library I can do this! do you have any solution or do you know any other libraries to transmit and receive data with RF transmitter?

My arduino sketch work with

#include <Ethernet.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <JsonParser.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_NFCShield_I2C.h>
#include <VirtualWire.h>
#include <Time.h>
#include <DateTimeStrings.h>