RF24 read() and Write()

Where can I get some more detailed information of the RF24.h package methods, rather more detailed that is than this?

I am asking because I do not know what data I can Tx/Rx using nRF24L01 except character arrays like char myData[10] = "ninechars;"

What kind of data do you want to Tx/Rx?

vagulus: I am asking because I do not know what data I can Tx/Rx using nRF24L01 except character arrays like char myData[10] = "ninechars;"

Then you have not studied the examples in the link I gave you to this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

Perhaps now you can understand why I suggested (several times) that you keep all your questions in a single Thread,

...R

Hi outsider and robin2

I have spent some time studying your Simple Tutorial robin2 but I am looking for a bit more detail. All I have absorbed from all the tutorial material I have found on the Forum and elsewhere is that I can send and receive character arrays. I know I can RxTx 32 bytes, how about just one? All I have is assumption and allusion. There must be more to it that that, and I am trying to find out for myself.

My request in this posting was simply for more detailed documentation of the TMRh20 RF24 package. This is so that I can improve my understanding of what I can do with this package.

vagulus: I have spent some time studying your Simple Tutorial robin2 but I am looking for a bit more detail.

So look in detail at my examples and ask specific questions if there is something you don't understand.

I suspect I have already said in one of your other Threads that the nRF24 just sends bytes. It is up to your program to decide what those bytes represent. They can be text characters or ints or floats or whatever.

Do you understand how the different types of data are stored in SRAM? If not, that is a subject you should study.

...R

Hi robin2

I do look in detail at your examples but, with all due respect, I would like to gain some understanding in my own right instead of having to ask the teacher every five minutes. I don’t wish to offend, but I find some of your sample code to be complex and obscure - I have had trouble (as you know) getting from your code to a working program. That is why my current project is based on code written by someone else, code I found easier to understand and modify. (I have some trouble with that at the moment.)

How did you get to know what you know? Did you just hack it, or is there some documentation? If there is documentation, where is it?

Now, it might well be that the documentation you read is above my head, but I would like the chance to find out - if that’s not against the rules.

vagulus: Where can I get some more detailed information of the RF24.h package methods, rather more detailed that is than this?

I am asking because I do not know what data I can Tx/Rx using nRF24L01 except character arrays like char myData[10] = "ninechars;"

The RF24.h itself is commented (which is usually the case for libraries). Should be looking at the source code for the real deal...

The nRF24L01+ is a complex beast, and you may need to learn more about the chip itself to make sense of some of the driver library.

vagulus: I don't wish to offend, but I find some of your sample code to be complex and obscure - I have had trouble (as you know) getting from your code to a working program.

I am not offended.

But as you have not explained the parts that are causing you trouble how can I help, or how can I improve the examples. I have already taken some trouble to make them simple.

How did you get to know what you know? Did you just hack it, or is there some documentation? If there is documentation, where is it?

Part of it is 40+ years of dabbling with programs and reading programming books. Part of it is asking for advice here and reading other relevant Threads. Part of it is studying TMRh20's documentation, his source code and the Nordic nRF24l01+ datasheet. And part of it is doing a lot of thinking about all of the other stuff.

...R

Robin2: Part of it is 40+ years of dabbling with programs and reading programming books. Part of it is asking for advice here and reading other relevant Threads. Part of it is studying TMRh20's documentation, his source code and the Nordic nRF24l01+ datasheet. And part of it is doing a lot of thinking about all of the other stuff.

They do say, "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!"

I guess I am just trying to shortcut some of the pain. ::)

vagulus: I guess I am just trying to shortcut some of the pain. ::)

So help me to help you?

As fas as I can see you are doing your best NOT to get help :)

...R

Robin2:
So help me to help you?

The biggest trouble I had with my project of a few months back involved code that worked one day and not the next. That struck again yesterday but cleared today. I also had problems with parameters and still do. That saga is related in my current project thread (see post #5). I’d welcome your take on the issue.

vagulus: That saga is related in my current project thread (see post #5). I'd welcome your take on the issue.

I have told you already that I do not plan to follow all your Threads. I will answer questions here. I am bookmarking this Thread so I can find it again.

IIRC you have have started two or three more Threads (including this one) since I last asked you to keep things in one place.

...R

char myData[10] = "ninechars;"

Eleven into ten doesn't go, or is the semicolon misplaced?

Yes it is. Sorry. Should be

char myData[10] = "ninechars";

Robin2: IIRC you have have started two or three more Threads (including this one) since I last asked you to keep things in one place.

This is a specific issue thread. The original question was "Where can I get some more detailed information of the RF24.h package methods, rather more detailed that is than this?" If this RFI, simple as it is, was buried in a compound and complex thread its answer wouldn't be found by a Forum Search. Is that not a very good reason to have a separate thread?

Are you suggesting that we have one thread called Vagulus' Problems and I only ever post to that?

I posted to Installation & Troubleshooting and Networking, Protocols & Devices inviting people with those special interests to participate in my project (single) thread - there was no suggestion of creating new threads there, in fact I asked people to avoid that.

vagulus: Are you suggesting that we have one thread called Vagulus' Problems and I only ever post to that?

That would certainly make it easier for me to follow all your questions and see them in the context of your project.

I believe if you had stuck to one Thread for your project you would now have a working project rather than apparently endless questions.

...R

The whole purpose of using a library is that all you need is a defined interface ( descriptions of classes, methods, function prototypes, etc), then you just use it --- assuming of course that the library works :)

I haven’t been working in the Arduino ecosystem for very long, but so far I’ve only come across two well-documented libraries. This one:

http://tmrh20.github.io/RF24/annotated.html

and the RadioHead library;

http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/annotated.html

Coincidentally, they are both related to RF communication.

All the rest of the libraries I’ve seen are just a github holding the code and some examples. Useful, but I usually have to dig through the source code to find the exact form of the function calls. I WISH other libraries had the same level of documentation as these two.

So, I guess the point is, if you want to learn more then read the source code, read the component datasheets, and ask specific questions.

Thanks for that gfvalvo.

The first I have permanently on my desk. The second I suspect as being an easy road to confusion and best (at my stage of development) left alone.

gfvalvo: So, I guess the point is, if you want to learn more then read the source code, read the component datasheets, and ask specific questions.

As I said to robin2, "There is no substitute for cubic inches!"

Anyway, thanks again for that response. It is what I was looking for when I opened this thread.

Robin2: I believe if you had stuck to one Thread for your project you would now have a working project rather than apparently endless questions.

One lesson I learnt in my undergrad years is that when your program doesn't work, when its is oversized and full of quick-fixes and add-ins, when you're forever debugging to put out spotfires (which only seem to cause more spotfires), don't bother tearing your hair out (too late!) [u]TRASH THE THING![/u] Start again with a clean sheet and a fresh mind. You'll be surprised how quickly you get a working program, and it will be cleaner, smaller, and closer to professional.

Had I stuck to the thread we corresponded on about Console and Trolley we would, both of us, gone [u]completely[/u] nuts! Forum threads like that get so convoluted as to be of no use to man nor beast. Aside from asking some specific questions hoping for specific answers (this can work) I have started a new thread chronicling my new project which is totally different from the old one. I'd like to see you there!

Cheers