RFID 13.56Mhz 1M range??

Hello all! I'm pretty new everything Arduino, forgive the question if it's dumb. All the research that I have done on 13.56Mhz RFID says that it has a read range of up to 1 meter (approximately), but all of the forum posts I have read say that distance is not possible. My question is, is it possible to get a 2-3 ft read range with HF RFID? If so, can anyone recommend a reader compatible with Arduino Uno that will do it and give me some advice on how to achieve that distance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

There are active RFID and passive RFID. Active has a long range. Passive not so much. Which one are you contemplating?

Paul

I was thinking about passive so I wouldn’t have to change batteries and because of the price, but if it can’t be done with passive, then I’ll use active

All the research that I have done on 13.56Mhz RFID says that it has a read range of up to 1 meter (approximately)

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Well the range you are getting is certainly "up to" 1 meter. Specifying an unrealistic upper range of anything is a marketing man's trick.

That sort of range isn't possible using a cheap single chip RFID reader. Expect to pay $100's for anything approaching that range.

How do those automatic dog doors that you can buy for like $150 do it?

They use the 128MHz RFID system and have an antenna coil round the dog / cat door. The animal has to be within inches of the door to unlock it.