RFID Control

Hello All,

I am currently trying to build a MakerSpace and have all of the expensive machinery require RFID to turn them on so I can limit them to certain people. I am not sure on how RFID works but I am wanting it so that each time someone new is able to use the machine, I only need to assign them a new card and not add them to each machine individually.

so for example, someone might be able to use Machine A, Machine B and not Machine C while using one card. I also want to be able to have it so that if they get the training I can simply just alter their card so they could use Machine C as well.

Then, if this is possible, is it possible to record who has used each machine?

thanks
Mitchell

building_Optimus_Prime:
Hello All,

I am currently trying to build a MakerSpace and have all of the expensive machinery require RFID to turn them on so I can limit them to certain people. I am not sure on how RFID works but I am wanting it so that each time someone new is able to use the machine, I only need to assign them a new card and not add them to each machine individually.

so for example, someone might be able to use Machine A, Machine B and not Machine C while using one card. I also want to be able to have it so that if they get the training I can simply just alter their card so they could use Machine C as well.

Then, if this is possible, is it possible to record who has used each machine?

You need some sort of database that holds the users names or IDs and a list of what machines they are allowed to use. Each machine has to be connected to this database somehow, WiFi maybe. The machine reads the card and gets the ID code and checks with the database to see if that machine is allowed for that user. When a user "levels up" to a new machine then all you have to do is go change their entry in said database.

thank you so much for your help

Hello,

I am currently trying to write the code for this program and don't know how to start. I just want the RFID to wait and read a card and if it has the correct code, it turns on the relay until the card is removed and waits 30 seconds until it turns off.

I don't want to use a database, I want to so that the RFID reader looks for a certain code and once it sees that, it turns on. This way I can program the RFID card to contain that code and turns on that machine. Then I want to make it so that each machine has a different code so that one card will be able to be programmed so that it can turn on any number of the machines as I like without turn on others.

Thanks
Mitchell

building_Optimus_Prime:
Hello,

I am currently trying to write the code for this program and don't know how to start. I just want the RFID to wait and read a card and if it has the correct code, it turns on the relay until the card is removed and waits 30 seconds until it turns off.

OK, start with the first thing. Can you make the reader wait and read a card when it is presented? Just write a code that reads a card and saves the code into an array and prints it out. Once you have that working move on to the next part which is comparing the code to see if it is valid, finally it should be no problem to turn on a relay for 30 seconds upon finding your code.

This way I can program the RFID card to contain that code and turns on that machine.

You can't do that. Their is no way you can take code from an RFID card's sectors and run it. That is not permitted by the architecture of the processor.

Grumpy, I don't think he wants to store machine code on the card but some secret code that lets the Arduino on the machine know that particular card is valid to turn it on. So code by its other definition.