RFID Door Access and Logging with Time restrictions.

Hello,

I am new here from PH, Can anyone suggest ideas for my project. I am planning to create a door access system that will be limited by time (sample: a certain card can only access the door by 8am to 4pm).
What are the components that i will need.

Thanks!

Mostly, you'll need an Arduino, some rfid tags, an rfid reader, an independent 5 v. and/or 3.3 v. power supply, and some sort of electrically operated lock. I'd use a Nano, because when you get done breadboarding it, you can solder it right into the circuit board. Excepting the price of the lock, your cost of parts probably would be under $50.

I would add an RTC.

I would also add an SD card. the idea is that you need to know the exact time, so the real time clock is needed.

also, since you are putting the unit in place, you could log people in and out.

I think I would add some sort of way to override the access. what if you left your keys and had to go back 2 minutes after quitting time ?

What you are asking for is known in professional circles of the access control industry as a "Time Profile". Often this include days of the week as well so that you can't access during the weekend.

what if you left your keys and had to go back 2 minutes after quitting time ?

That applies to whenever you set the time profile. In practice it only matters if you are the last one out of the building, and even then you normally have a master key holder to phone.