RFID Duplication

Hey,

I am looking to duplicate RFID's for my building mates and friends in other buildings, we don't want to have to pay these exorbitant prices we are charged to get duplicates, if a new friend moves in. I am a complete newb to this industry, but, I have done some research and found myself here.

I would love the satisfaction of building my own device, but, due to the learning curve, I am a bit stumped on a couple of things.

Being in the same building, I understand the tags standard will be the same, but the other buildings, the standard most likely are going to be different, I have called around and I am told that I can't just have one device that can read / write all cards / FOBs. Now these are condo cards, I am not looking to do High- level security clearance badges lol. They are only for condos.

1.So my question is, can I purchase an arduino, since it can read the code with a shield and be able to read any card and then duplicate it ?

2.if so can someone help point me in the right direction for what I what controller would be best to help my with my problem.

3, I have also found a supplier for fobs, would it be safe to say I should get 125mhz and 13.25mhz.

Thank you in advance to anybody who can assist us on this problem!

Please don't crosspost. Duplicate post removed.

IAMTylerDurden:
Hey,

1.So my question is, can I purchase an arduino, since it can read the code with a shield and be able to read any card and then duplicate it ?

No.

while an arduino can read or write to most tags, the tags your building uses are very likely encrypted.
so your arduino will only read the uid of the tag not the key information.

It is common for the uid to be used in access systems but each uid has to be registered with the central server.
The uid is unique and cannot be duplicated.

Boardburner2:
while an arduino can read or write to most tags, the tags your building uses are very likely encrypted.
so your arduino will only read the uid of the tag not the key information.

It is common for the uid to be used in access systems but each uid has to be registered with the central server.
The uid is unique and cannot be duplicated.

Which is pretty much why they use the tags in the first place, isn't it?.

Paul__B:
Which is pretty much why they use the tags in the first place, isn't it?.

Yes

There are allegedly tag emulators which can spoof the uid but the secondary use of encryption scuppers that nicely.
Only the system builders have the necessary data to generate a new key.